At the Gate of Sethu - 100%

JKShred, July 5th, 2012

At the Gate of Sethu, another solid release from the South Carolina death metallars, Nile. This has to be the most atmospheric album Nile have released so far. Their previous releases are pure death metal, speed and sheer brutality with a pinch of Egyptian atmosphere. While this album delivers the same speed and brutality, it delivers even more. In this release, you are up to a darker more haunting atmosphere; as it doesn't only focus on the speed but also focuses on some slow riffs that amazingly go with the Egyptian ambiance. All that, along with the brutality of death metal are what make At the Gate of Sethu one hell of an album.

Having spoken of the amazing atmosphere of the album, let's tackle the memorability of most of the songs. The guitars are very solid, technical riffs here and there with quite some really great atmospheric Egyptian-like sound. I have had some quite hard time remembering most of the songs, some parts of them being a little monotonous. Nevertheless, the atmospheric riffs kind of break the monotony and make the songs quite memorizable. There are two instrumental tracks on this album, Slaves of Xul and Ethno-Musicological Cannibalisms delivering the atmosphere being created here, a very dark and evil one.

The production on this album is actually great. The guitars are very solid as I have mentioned, very heavy delivering the sheer brutality of death metal. The drums are really amazing, their great sound does George Kollias's playing justice. I personally love the vocals on this one, not much to say really. A great production done here nonetheless.

In my opinion, this album is a must-have for Nile and death metal fans. It is another great release by the band through Nuclear Blast. It is the best death metal can have, in my opinion; brutal and fast yet slightly melodic riffs, with fast yet solid drums, and amazing death metal growls. What are you waiting for, go ahead and buy the damn thing.

Track suggestions: