It's a collection. Whoo-hoo. - 70%

Zelkiiro, November 12th, 2009

This is going to be short and sweet, as Lokikirja is nothing more than a collection of Nightwish's studio albums thus far. Sure, if you're new to the group, and you want the band's basic discography all in one place, this collection would be perfect for you. However, if you're like me, jaded and cynical, waiting for anything and everything new this group pumps out, disappointment will undoubtedly follow after.

What really bugs me about this collection, though, is that there's nothing new. It literally is just the studio albums (and their 2 EPs) stuck in a box with a fancy name on it. No new tracks, no re-recordings of Anette on the Tarja-era tracks, not even any unreleased demos. I pre-ordered this box, hoping for at least some new material, but I was as disappointed as a skirt-chaser in a small-town Hooters.

As for the music itself, there's not a whole lot to say. The sound quality is great, but that's a given with a big budget name like Nightwish. If you're unfamiliar with them, there are plenty of reviews of their individual albums on this very site, so you don't have to look very far to learn what their music sounds like. In a nutshell, if you simply must know here, the band sounds very much like a melodic metal group if it were led by Hans Zimmer: soaring choruses, big symphony sounds, and melody melody melody!

The important thing to consider with this collection is: Am I really THAT interested in this group? How many of these albums do I already own, and would it be worth the 57 Euros ($84.60!) to buy this collection? If your answer is yes, then you're in for a decent collection with no frills or bonuses attached. If you say no, well, I can't blame you. I expected more, too.