Disappointing... - 60%

NecroWraith, August 14th, 2007

I loved Tarja, and wasn't sure if Nightwish would ever find a suitable replacement. Finally, they announced they found her: Olzon. I had mixed hopes about their new sound. Was she gonna be as great and powerful a singer as Tarja? So far, I have to say... no.

Yes, this song is a ballad. Nothing against that personally; after all, in an interview, Nightwish said their new CD is gonna feature both heavy songs as well as ballads. At least they're not going all-ballad-ey, so I'm not complaining.

What I am complaining about, however, is Olzon's voice on this single. Eva is a boring song. Anyone has to admit that. I'd imagine Tarja's voice would have added a little bit more power to this song, but Olzon just doesn't cut it. Her voice is average and boring. I've heard millions of better singers than her, and I'm convinced her voice just does not fit in with Nightwish at all.

Imagine her singing some of the faster, heavier songs. Tarja made Nightwish seem interesting, dark, mysterious, enchanting... Olzon seems to do the opposite. In fact, I would go as far as to say I wouldn't be surprised if I heard a new Nightwish song on one of the pop radio stations.

Overall, yes, Olzon does have a nice voice, but I've heard better, and it definitely does not seem suitable for Nightwish's style. Sorry Nightwish.

Enough about her voice. How is the rest of the song? I'll have to admit, the rest is mediocre at best. Where are the riffs? Solos? Well, I guess I can't complain about that too much. It IS a ballad, afterall.

I'm just hoping Olzon will prove me wrong and add the same magic to Nighwish's music Tarja did. I honestly doubt it. But I'm still hoping...

-Marcin C.