Jonsu's great, but Anette could've done it better! - 99%

Daniel_2007_Pendulum, January 20th, 2008

"Erämaan Viimienen"'s release was a surprise for all those who listen to Nightwish. We used to believe that the third single would be "Bye Bye Beautiful" (maybe because its video leaked too soon to the internet). But "Erämaan Viimeinen" came to change it all.

Since the first time I listened to it, I was amazed by the music quality of "Last of The Wilds". It was somehow... different from any song that the band had released that far. It became one of my favorites very soon, I even wrote my own lyrics (in English) for the instrumental song. I realized that the song would be great as a single, but as an instrumental song, it was a very remote possibility. Fortunately, Master Tuomas Holopainen had the great idea to add Finnish lyrics to the song, and to make Jonsu from Indica to do the vocals of the song (it can't be forgotten that Jonsu is one of the best vocalists of her native country, Finland). Now, I don't know if this is correct ,but I once read somewhere that Holopainen's original idea was to release the song with vocals, but Anette's poor skills for Finnish spoken language forced him to release it as instrumental.

The cover art of the single is very simple, but excellent. The only thing I'm not happy for is the fact that ¡there are only two songs on it! I expected three, maybe four, but not two. However, those two songs are both great. Differently from other poeple, who think that "Erämaan Viimeinen" is just the song with the vocals over it, I think that the song has more than that, that it's good in both instrumental and vocal versions.

But, although Jonsu is a very skilled vocalist, I feel that the song could have been a little better if Annete had sung it. Maybe Tuomas could have written English lyrics for the song and could have made Anette sing it. And the song could have been added to the CD as the third song. I don't know why Tuomas didn't have that idea.

Oh, I almost forgot something that's not fair at all. I can't understand (and I think I'll never can) why the single was not released out of Finland. Ok, I'm very happy that the single had reached the #1 of the Finnish Charts, but that's not a reason that explains why the rest of the world has to miss such an excellent single.

Conclusion: "Erämaan Viimeinen" is a great song, with an excellent quality and arrangements, but it could have been perfect if:
1) Anette had sung it.
2) It had included one or two extra tracks (an excellent idea could have been the orchestral version of "Last of The Wilds").
3) It had been released out of Finland.