Why the hell does this exist?! Why?! - 40%

Zelkiiro, August 25th, 2011

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS EP?!

1. "Well, clearly, it's for people to hear 'Erämaan Viimeinen'!"
Except that "Erämaan Viimeinen" already has its own single, released December 5th, 2007, featuring both the vocal version featuring Jonsu and the instrumental version. This is an EP from 2010, and it's 3 years late to the party.

2. "Well, clearly, it's for people to hear 'The Escapist'!"
Except that both the Special Edition version of Dark Passion Play as well as the "Bye Bye Beautiful" single already feature this song.

3. "Well, clearly, it's for people to hear the instrumental version of 'The Escapist'!"
Except that the "The Islander" single already features this.

So then, if all the material for this EP is already available in the much-easier-to-find-and-released-everywhere-and-not-just-Finland singles and special editions I've mentioned earlier, why was this EP even made? Shouldn't an EP, by definition, at least have some new original material? Who is this trash for? Avid Nightwish fans are already going to own all four of these tracks, anyway, and non-fans are hardly going to give a fuck about bonus tracks and instrumental versions of said bonus tracks.

This is just another cynical cash grab hatched by the nefarious Nuclear Blast records, and thank God this thing didn't sell well at all, or else that would just encourage more worthless bullshit EPs like this one.

So then, why does this EP have a score higher than 0%, you may ask? Well, that's because I actually like these songs, despite the fact that Nuclear Blast is bending us all over the moment we begin listening. "Erämaan Viimeinen" has those wonderful folk melodies and "The Escapist" is just a great classic-sounding Nightwish tune, with a soaring chorus and orchestral flourishes that remind me of Danny Elfman's idiosyncratic style.

But really, that's no justification for this trash. Nightwish needs to stop treating their fans like shit and put out some new material before their fans jump ship.

Jonsu's great, but Anette could've done it better! - 99%

Daniel_2007_Pendulum, January 20th, 2008

"Erämaan Viimienen"'s release was a surprise for all those who listen to Nightwish. We used to believe that the third single would be "Bye Bye Beautiful" (maybe because its video leaked too soon to the internet). But "Erämaan Viimeinen" came to change it all.

Since the first time I listened to it, I was amazed by the music quality of "Last of The Wilds". It was somehow... different from any song that the band had released that far. It became one of my favorites very soon, I even wrote my own lyrics (in English) for the instrumental song. I realized that the song would be great as a single, but as an instrumental song, it was a very remote possibility. Fortunately, Master Tuomas Holopainen had the great idea to add Finnish lyrics to the song, and to make Jonsu from Indica to do the vocals of the song (it can't be forgotten that Jonsu is one of the best vocalists of her native country, Finland). Now, I don't know if this is correct ,but I once read somewhere that Holopainen's original idea was to release the song with vocals, but Anette's poor skills for Finnish spoken language forced him to release it as instrumental.

The cover art of the single is very simple, but excellent. The only thing I'm not happy for is the fact that ¡there are only two songs on it! I expected three, maybe four, but not two. However, those two songs are both great. Differently from other poeple, who think that "Erämaan Viimeinen" is just the song with the vocals over it, I think that the song has more than that, that it's good in both instrumental and vocal versions.

But, although Jonsu is a very skilled vocalist, I feel that the song could have been a little better if Annete had sung it. Maybe Tuomas could have written English lyrics for the song and could have made Anette sing it. And the song could have been added to the CD as the third song. I don't know why Tuomas didn't have that idea.

Oh, I almost forgot something that's not fair at all. I can't understand (and I think I'll never can) why the single was not released out of Finland. Ok, I'm very happy that the single had reached the #1 of the Finnish Charts, but that's not a reason that explains why the rest of the world has to miss such an excellent single.

Conclusion: "Erämaan Viimeinen" is a great song, with an excellent quality and arrangements, but it could have been perfect if:
1) Anette had sung it.
2) It had included one or two extra tracks (an excellent idea could have been the orchestral version of "Last of The Wilds").
3) It had been released out of Finland.