QUIT PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS! - 60%

anathematized_one, August 26th, 2009

Well, *sigh* what can I say? In some ways this album is awesome, but in other ways it blows.

Let's start with the vocals. Alright they're decent, nothing to really jack-off over, but they're alright. What I have a problem with is that the backing vocals are AWESOME! How do the fucking backing vocals sound better than the lead vocals? That makes no fucking sense to me. They should just drop Nephente and let Johan do all the vocals. Of the lead vocals, I do like how they alter your standard black metal vox with your death metal vox. I also have to say Nephente's death metal vocals are way better than his black metal vocals. Moving on...

Let's delve into the music - it's very well mixed. The guitar and bass lines are awesome - but the tone of the guitars kind of sucks and doesn't really fit the style at all. In my opinion, they need a little more high-end and to be a little crunchier, in a good tubed-head that's well overdriven kind of way. Maybe a little less on the mids too. A touch or two of presence wouldn't hurt either. The drums, why good and well played, are kind of uninteresting and lack-luster to say the least. The same can be said for the keys. Overall the music could stand a speed boost. This particular style, at least in my opinion, is better played at lightning-fast shredder speeds, much like Dissection's "Storm of the Light's Bane" instead of what this is, a mid-paced deal akin to the tempo of something like Cradle of Filth, or some other boring goth band.

This kind of reminds me of a less-good version of Embraced. The music is so well written, but the tone and deliverance just kills it. I would definitely listen to this three or four times before deciding on buying it. Most likely you'll not end up buying it, much in the way I didn't.