Half worth your time, money, and patience. - 46%

snake_invasion, July 18th, 2010

A while back I remember that this album was first being released. Being that it took me a year to find an affordable import of Høstmørke album, I was excited when I found a copy of Engangsgrill that was within my CD budget, so I leapt on that shit like cheetahs on a dead body.

The day came when Engangsgrill finally shipped to my house and I could finally give this album a listen…

The first 3 tracks are by Fenriz’ Red Planet. In general, this half of the album is by far the better half. Being an obvious blend of classic rock and doom metal, this hybrid genre is very interesting and genuinely unique. It’s a bit as though classic rock met the band Gods Tower without the crappy ‘harf harf’ vocals (Fenriz’ Red Planet is indeed a clear-vocals kind of band). These are 3 truly catchy songs that are probably even better than the Isengard project by the same artist. And get this: the percussion for this album includes… a tambourine! It’s not every day you see that in a metal band, and it actually fits the songs quite well.

But Nattefrost’s half was different. These were 5 very odd tracks, but then again it isn’t supposed to be his better work (apparently). I know that. But it was a shame that such a good band like Fenriz’ Red Planet was paired with this. Well, the first 3 songs have strange, shitty skits for intros, and maybe some of the heavier-sounding guitars aren’t so bad once you force yourself into liking them. His fourth track is utter horse shit, a waste of his and my time, my money, and my patience for his half of the album… basically, it’s a skit that probably took him 5 minutes to think up and another 10 to record, mix, and master. His fifth track is slightly better, but probably not as good as his first; but, don’t get me wrong, it’s still all trash and falls way short of the Fenriz’ Red Planet tracks. Overall, the Nattefrost percussion is about as fun as a heart attack.

To conclude, the Nattefrost tracks are what fucked up this otherwise-worthy split. My suggestion is this: purchase the release and burn the Fenriz’ Red Planet tracks onto a mixed CD with a better band than Nattefrost and it will certainly be worth the money. Maybe if you are a true-blue Nattefrost fan who must absolutely whore up anything and everything Nattefrost-related, you might fully appreciate this release; otherwise, you might want to prioritize other releases before spending too much money on this one. Still, it’s an iffy buy, and if (like me) you only have so much room to spare in your CD dresser, you should save your money for a cooler album. If I could rate the bands’ individual performances, Fenriz’ Red Planet gets an 86 and Nattefrost gets about a 7.