Same Old Nasum - 78%

EdwardtheBlack, September 7th, 2004

Nasum, one of today's highly touted - and most hated - grindcore bands seems like an unstoppable juggernaut now. Ever since Human 2.0 they seemed to have found the perfect niche, and have kept on bringing the pain. If "In Grind We Crust" is their musical motto, then they are certainly doing a great job. However, it's the mentality that has Nasum messing things up.

The albumn musically is, as stated earlier, good old Nasum... in every way possible. Honestly, if they didn't incorporate breakdowns (which, thankfully, are amazing) all the songs would sound the same. It's been that way since Human 2.0. And seeing as how Helvete was practically the same albumn as Human 2.0, I was interested to see how Nasum would switch it up with this albumn. Well, aside from the breakdowns, Nasum have added (very trace amounts of) melody - best exemplified by songs like Fury - and 2 (two) guitar solos. I won't spoil the songs that have them, since they're gone in 5 seconds flat anyways. There's a definite metalcore/NWOSHM vibe (as heard in Fight Terror With Terror), and Nasum don't overdo it, so expect to see some bandanas and two steppers in the crowd during the tour for Shift. Despite what sounds like what could make a lion's share of a difference in this albumn's overall sound when compared to Human 2.0 or Helvete, it only appears in such small amounts, a concrete difference cannot be noticed between any of the past 2 albumns.

Nasum seem to have the mindset that they can change votes, or start revolutions with their music. If it's one thing I cannot stand, it's politically correct grindcore. Napalm Death only get away with it because they're legends, and they did it right. Nasum complains about stuff like pollution and terrorism, things that affect less than 1% of the population of the world, them not included. In the end, they sound like a bunch of uneducated hippies hating someone because Jerry's money hungry bandmates who still tour using his songs that sucked (The 'Dead') said not to like that individual. I am also 99% sure that the "...not about how much money your campaign has raised, but what you do once you take office..." sample is aimed directly at the aforementioned individual (George Dubuya Bush, for the mentally incompetent). Alas, my problem with Nasum is on a personal level, and it only affected the rating by about 3 points. Overall, this albumn is a solid one, if not a very consistent one, in which (almost) nothing new is tried, and we'll probably have to wait another 2 years until Nasum really stumble upon something radical and new. Even if they do, will it be able to stand up to Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer by then?