The Perfect Grindcore Album - 100%

grain_silo, September 9th, 2011

Napalm Death…widely regarded as the first true grindcore band. “Scum” was the first but I feel like it sounded too punk and “From Enslavement to Obliteration” was the first “true” grindcore sound.

The music is one thing, grind. Every song exemplifies what grindcore is to me. Blast beats are the most used drum beat along with a lot of thrash beats. They slow it down occasionally such as in “Unchallenged Hate”. The riffs are punk influenced riffs but the guitars are so freakin heavy that some of riffs come off as death metal riffs. “Unchallenged Hate” has an amazingly heavy riff. It is easily the best song on here. The title track also has an incredible riff and stands out among the rest. The songs are pretty short, the longest song is just over 3 minutes long and it’s more of an atmospheric into than anything else. Most of the songs are between 1 and 1:30 long, perfect for grindcore.

Production is pretty amazing. Guitars are heavy but are kind of fuzzy during the really fast riffs, which take up most of the album. The bass is super LOW, like it should be. It’s not overpowering in the mix but you can definitely tell it’s there, more like feel it’s there. The drums sound good, but the cymbals are very tinny and the snare could be louder during blast beats. Lee Dorrian…this guy has the best grindcore vocals I’ve ever heard. He might only say a few “lyrics” every song but wow this guy has some energy. He is super guttural and his highs actually sound painful. Easily my favorite grindcore singer for sure.

So if you’re looking at the beginnings of grind, this is a necessity. Everything about this album is amazing and is definitely my favorite grindcore album ever.

Best tracks – “Practice What You Preach”, “Unchallenged Hate”, and “From Enslavement to Obliteration”