Release all your emotions; make them dominate. - 85%

Diamhea, December 23rd, 2007

Naildown finds themselves in the precarious situation that only a few, select bands have emerged from alive (Norther, Kalmah, etc.): Being labeled as a Children of Bodom clone.

Now, pertaining to the Bodom clone syndrome, history shows us that the band needs no more than an identity and at least a shred of originality to their sound to emerge as more than a one-hit wonder of sorts. Kalmah's mystical aura, Norther's hard-edged, youthful vigor; all of these attributes helped those bands carve out their own little niche and squelch the nay-sayers.

Naildown surely has the potential to be all that those bands are, although it may have not been fully realized on this release. I can't shake the feeling that frontman Daniel Freyberg lays claim to most of the band's talent. A truly stupendous guitarist, check out the intro to "Reflecting My Descent" to get an idea of his style. His vocals, while not overly impressive, are more than passable, since he boasts a good clean voice along with typical screaming traits. The inclusion of clean vocals at a high clip helps break up the monotony that other bands face by sticking to typical, one-faceted screams.

Now-departed keyboardist Jarmo Puikkonen also gets a high mark. His atmospheric keyboard lines help add another layer to the sound, and his futuristic sounding keyboard leads help add to the overall atmosphere of the album. Drummer Harri Heikkinen possesses adequate skills, lending a solid backbone to Naildown's slightly simplified, hard rock-esque take on Bodom inspired metal. Bass is nothing to write home about.

Inconsistency rears its ugly head at times, albeit seldomly, during World Domination. The album starts fast, with the first three tracks being some of the more superb cuts. It sags in the middle, however with the "Evil Deeds", "Next Infinity" duo dragging on in uninspired fashion. "Eyes Wide Open" is a great, pounding track that reminds me of Bodom's Six-Pounder. Along with the epic title track, the rest of the album rounds out fairly well, leaving me wanting more!

Fans of Children of Bodom and Norther can do much, much worse than checking
out Naildown's debut; a very promising one, at that.

Check out: "Reflecting My Descent", "Prolong Your Fate", "Eyes Wide Open", andv"World Domination".