Question: why are unknown bands so good? - 89%

PorcupineOfDoom, November 24th, 2014

This is an interesting band as they choose to infuse some hard rock influences with the melodeath their music mostly is. It's unusual to hear riffs like this band seem to throw in as well as a type of clean vocal that wouldn't normally be found in melodic death metal. I actually found it to be attention grabbing though and most of the time it doesn't turn out half bad.

For the most part the guitars and drums are fairly uninspiring, although the solos that are thrown in are always of a high-quality. It tends to be similar riffs along each and every verse, but what I will say is that they don't need to do anything spectacular when the keyboardist is doing what he does here. In a way similar to Fear of Domination, the keyboard seems to be the main assault here. They have a futuristic feel to them which doesn't really tie in with everything else, but I'll give him points for style anyway. At least for this band we can say that both the guitars and drums are solid, unlike quite a number of bands I've recently discovered.

I'll admit that the vocals are actually quite enjoyable. There aren't many vocalists out there that I feel should stick with their cleans, but Daniel Freyberg has quite a nice tone to his voice. I'm not usually one for the kind of rock vocals that he deploys for the most part, but I find myself getting genuinely enveloped in them. The bark that he uses occasionally isn't as nice to listen to, but his cleans are of a really high order.

I'm not so sure I could pick favourites, but the song Lame is definitely up there, despite its slightly off-putting name (to put it plainly, it sounds like it'll be poor). Like I'd Care suffers the same problem in the name department but is also very enjoyable. The entire album is very convincing though, aside from Deep Under the Stones. For what is effectively an instrumental, it makes virtually no sense to me for them to drag it out for a good two minutes longer than all of the others songs. That's just my opinion, maybe yours is different, but long tracks hardly ever do anything for me.

Overall though, this is a remarkably consistent album from an almost unknown band. The metal purists might not like the rock influences that the band choose to include in their music, but it detracts nothing and instead gives it an unusual feel that works very well. I would thoroughly recommend it.

Prepare for lockdown. - 80%

Diamhea, April 8th, 2007

Naildown recently impressed me with their debut "World Domination", and I snagged Dreamcrusher at the first available opportunity.

It should be noted that this album shares the exact same sound as their first effort. They sacrifice some technicality in light of a more "hard rock" approach. Their keyboardist is absolutely pro, and he chooses his keyboard sounds/effects well, lending to an almost "futuristic" kind of sound. This is driven home by the subject matter of their music video for "Eyes Wide Open". Extensive use of flanging and other effects can be found among this release.

Daniel Freyberg's clean vocals have improved significantly since World Domination, and he uses them more often/to better effect; even if they fall prey to some admittingly "stupid" lines. The song titles are a mixed bag as well, some are really cool like "Judgement Ride", but "Lame" and "Like I'd Care" draw some questioning, they are both good songs, but its really easy for elitists to pick a band apart under those pretenses. The drummer provides very solid backing, skill is in no short supply here.

Honestly, check it out! Theres a reason these guys are currently tourning with Ensiferum and SuidAkrA!