Nachtfalke - Land of Frost - 75%

vorfeed, October 5th, 2004

Artist: Nachtfalke
Album Title: Land of Frost
Label: Christhunt

This is the third full-length album from Nachtfalke, a side-project of Occulta Mors from Moonblood. Nachtfalke is Viking-styled pagan metal in the vein of later Bathory.

Anyone who has read my review of "Hail Victory Teutonia" should know how much I like this band. Nachtfalke is one of the finest Viking-style black metal bands out there. This album just isn't their best, though. There are some good songs here: "The Windlords", "Berserker", "Men from North", and "Land of Frost". Even so, none of these rise to the level of older songs like "Valhall" or "To Honour Wotan". The remaining two songs are average for Nachtfalke, at best. The opening solo in "Ragnarok" is very reminiscent of the beginning of "Fallen Heroes" from Nachtfalke's second album, and after that, the song pretty much goes nowhere for nine minutes. "Immortal Home"'s main riff sounds pretty familiar, too, and the rest of the song doesn't make up for it.

In other words, this band is starting to repeat itself. This isn't enough to make me regret buying "Land of Frost", since there are some good songs to be found here, but it is enough to make me prefer "Hail Victory Teutonia" and "Doomed to Die". If you've already got the other two, you should consider picking this album up - it includes most of the "Sturmzeitalter" demo along with the new songs, so it's a good deal. If you're missing either "Hail..." or "Doomed...", get both of those before you consider this one.

Standout Tracks: "The Windlords", "Berserker", "Land of Frost"

Review by Vorfeed: http://www.vorfeed.net