An Onslaught of Symphonies on Christianity - 88%

shubhamaditya1, May 19th, 2014

What do you think of when you come across symphonic black metal? Is it Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth? Do you like bands like Odium or Limbonic Art? Ha! It is not the case here. You see, something is different at the moment! The album artwork, guitar riffs and a bit of drumming too. I must put it to your notice that though the genre mentioned on the band's page is melodic black metal, they have always played symphonic black metal(at least on this album). Whatsoever, it is exclusive from the works of Dimmu or Cradle of Filth.

Every song has a notable component that attacks christianity and the weak lambs of Christ. I don't know if Mystic Circle gained that cult name in Germany. Because of the fact that the band is notably old and uses keyboards, we cannot call it a copycat or goth fags. You know what I am trying to convey! Use of keyboards has become a trend in black metal. Believe me, it's not 'cool'.

The exquisite sound is unique to Mystic Circle. Satanism is vividly hailed in the lyrics of the songs. Definitely it is one of those bands which could have been involved in the church burning activities. I wish it had happened, because the refined hatred in the vocals and atmosphere produces an image that at least two-three churches would have been put to siege. 'Church Burning Music' could have been another title to the album, but 'Infernal Satanic Verses' is a matchless one. The vocals are cold and raw. The female vocals contribute much to the satanic atmosphere. The quality of production is magnificent and meets every standard. No one can criticize on that. The vocalists do not give us any clue of a German accent, and so the vocals are perfect. You will observe that any Cliché is avoided here. They have got the ability to speed up and down very suavely. Also, the album artwork is really attractive.

I want to point one thing out, there is no such word as 'Undestructible' - The second song (Undestructable Power of Darkness) from the album. It is mentioned in the back cover also! Was that intentional? It's weird, when everything is going smooth, one encounters such a word!

My favourite song from the album is 'Fallen Christian Empire'. It is an ear orgasm to me. Intensive keyboard sounds combined with proper drumming beats at regular intervals to headband on!

I find the album pretty enough to buy and then listen to it quite often! It is definitely not a waste of your precious money. Why don't you give a try?

Dimmu? Cradle? Abigor? - 83%

Funeral Frog, March 12th, 2014
Written based on this version: 1999, CD, Last Episode

Mystic Circle's third album Infernal Satanic Verses is a well-done album with many surprises that keep you on your toes. From the multitude of instruments that make up their "symphony", to the interesting riffs that are both crushing and melodic.To begin the album, the band chose to use a slow, evil intro, which definitely surpasses what many other bands have done in the past. Still, this isn't exactly a new development for black metal. I would have liked hearing Undestructable Power of Darkness come first, and the intro saved for later.

Nonetheless, the aforementioned second track comes racing out of the gates, reminding me of Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (in a good way). The speed-infused melody on Infernal Satanic Verses makes it feel as much like a power metal album as a black metal album. I will say this, though: if you came here looking for innovation, you might be disappointed, because the influences are fairly obvious in this album. That isn't to say they're a clone, however. Mystic Circle appears to have taken the best of Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Bal-Sagoth, even Bathory, and mashed them all together. The melodies work, the aggression works, and the singing works. In fact, that's a great way of putting the entire album. It simply works. It's probably not a masterpiece, but it does have some catchiness to it (in the same way Sargeist does).

These guys also did many other things correctly. You're always guessing what's going to come next... but you're usually wrong. Perhaps that's more a trait of symphonic black metal than this band specifically, but they still out-did the norm in that area. I was especially surprised by the ability for these guys to speed up and slow down in such sudden intervals (my favourite being the one at 2:20 and 2:50 on The Devilstone). After a while, Infernal Satanic Verses can get boring, though. Obviously songs get boring if they repeat too many times - which is not present on this album - but it's the actually the entire sound that doesn't change. Minute one (... or three) of the fifty minutes to the last is an onslaught of speed, melody and "Satanic charm". Some might not agree with me, but this can get kind of monotonous for a whole album, but great for a playlist including one or two of these songs.

Highlights of the album: Undestructable Power of Darkness, Hordes of the Underworld, Fallen Christian Empire, and the tiny album outro that harkens back to The Daemons Call.

Sometimes I like my cheese blackened - 65%

doomknocker, December 3rd, 2008

To paraphrase the great John Chedsey, "I can see Black Metal Purists® cringing madly at this album." Hell, I can even see melodic black metal purists cringing at this. At first glance many can consider this a flimsy, derivative piece of over-the-toppery that outdoes CRADLE OF FILTH at their hokiest and most British (I know I did...), but if you look past the black velvet gloss and into the nitty-gritty of their musical exploits you'll find that it's not really a terrible disc at all. If nothing else, getting into the inner workings is like getting a vaccination; just shut up, grit your teeth, and let it happen.

"Infernal Satanic Verses" is NOT by ANY means a perfect or original album; instead, you get eight songs of well-versed, somewhat creative song-writing that combine moments of dark majesty with cringe-inducing hackneyeism. The riffs themselves are above average with tasty keyboard and guitar passages, but zip around and change tempos and time signatures with such haste that it almost gives you vertigo. More often than not the riffs move along with no real regard for arrangement or flow, giving the songs a feel of being a patchwork of ideas rather than real songs. At times they're dark and impurely evil, and other times they come off as happy and upbeat, far and away not at all the evil black metal the band presents themselves at in their lyrics, though cheesy and overblown as they are. The production can actually be taken into account here, as everything (save for most of the drumwork) is crisp and clear, giving you the ability to hear every instrument no matter how undermixed (prime examples include "The Devilstone", "Undestructable Power of Darkness" and "One with the Antichrist". Vocals are the standard reptilian rasps and growls common with black metal, interrupted temporarily by the operatic stylings of Sarah Jezebel Deva (OF ALL PEOPLE!) delivering said cheesy lyrics with only a fraction of the venom needed for musical Satanic blackness.

So at the end of the day, this isn't the greatest album ever, or even a GREAT album...this is merely decent enough for a listen here or there, and those times I did I found it good enough to keep.