This will remind you why you're miserable. - 98%

Shadespawn, September 9th, 2008

Here it is. One of the greatest doom albums ever written. This album has misery written all over it. It will remind you why we're all miserable, why we suffer and will not answer any questions. It will leave you as it grasped you.

My Dying Bride has beed one of the founders of the doom/death hybrid back in the early 90s. With such releases as 93's "Turn Loose the Swans" and 92's "As the Flower Withers" they annouced the intonation of pain, suffering and true beauty translated into music. After the somewhat experimental "34.788%... Complete", they have decided one year later, to get back on track. With "The Light at the End of the World" they have certainly succeeded.

The deep tuning and heavy guitar riffs accompany you through the whole album. Slow, melancholic riffs filled with eagerness remind you of that time in your life when you wanted to escape but couldn't find the right door. When you were trapped in negative emotions such as an unrequited love, helplessness or ire. My Dying Bride have also succeeded in creating an unique atmosphere of torment and unclear illusions. It induces cloudy figures as it sends you on a journey through ambiguous sceneries and introduces you to odd characters and eerie places. Listening to tracks such as "She is the Dark", the first thing that comes into mind is the gnostic poem "The Thunder, Perfect Mind", which talks about the nature of femininity and its paradoxical statements. Another example for the eerieness is "Edenbeast", which clearly describes the paradoxical existance of ferociousness inside our association of an "ideal world". So much for the philosophical part.

The music itself is as doomy and melancholic as the lyrical concepts. We have everything here; slow rythm drumming, tearing guitar riffs, aswells als slow sluggish ones. But the thing that amazes me the most on this record are, as always, Aaron Stainthorpe's vocal duties. This man sounds so tormented and done with life. He does a very good job in adopting his experiences and woe into the music.

I recommend this album to everyone interested in music and extreme emotions with great lyrical concepts and slow, but very catchy melodies.