Not really worthwhile - 50%

lord_ghengis, May 26th, 2008

My dying bride has never really done all that much for me, Sure I've liked a few songs, but for the main part they've been a fairly boring band, with a horrible vocalist/lyricist who makes it hard for me to get into the music. This fairly long, three track EP consists of one original song, only released in a couple of live releases and compilations, and two remixes, or so I'm told. One is available one a few compilations and singles, and the second is basically a one off. Transcending (Into The Exquisite) is only released as a actual track on this release, despite appearing on the re-release of "Turn Lose the Swans", this is for a reason.

I Am the Bloody Earth is actually a pretty damn impressive song, a little bit more upbeat than usual, but mixes the quality aggressive tones and growling of their first release, with some of the catchier riffing of "The Cry of Mankind", as well as some very well implemented violins. The other doom song, the Crown of Sympathy (Remix), is obviously a remix of the song of the great album "Turn Loose The Swans". Honestly, without listening to the two tracks next to each other, they both sound exactly the same. Same slow dirgey riffs, with the same half-spoken delivery. Even the horribly boring middle section is still there. I'm not 100% where they dropped a minute and a half of the song. All the important landmarks of the song that you loved are still there.

So, this bite sized chunk of doom probably seems fairly strong at this point doesn't it? With two good Doom/Death tracks from the bands golden era on each end, there's a solid 17 and a half minutes of enjoyment to be had. Which leads us to the problem; Transcendence (Into the Exquisite). This thing is so far from exquisite so quickly it seems like some kind of cruel joke that the band named it the way it. Supposedly, it's a bunch of riffs from the album Turn Loose the Swans, which have been viciously violated and deformed by a technoviking. I couldn't tell you any of the riffs, because they are all so very, very butchered. The guy they got in to destroy these songs, Stevie Dachau, is clearly into house or techno music, because he's basically taken doom, a slow, crushing genre, and tried to couple it with the dance beats and touches of house music. A three year old who has never heard music in either genre could tell you that the only possible result is a bad one. Think, a Fear Factory remix album, just with My Dying Bride music. Yes, it's that bad.

Where this EP really fails is the complete lack of worthwhile listening. The first song is brilliant, and easily rates as one of my personal favourite bride songs. And while the final track is good, it's completely redundant, and serves no real purpose. And the other song, is just a horrible waste of disk. This just further increases in the impact the unimportance of Crown of Sympathy, because you'll want to skip this song, but you've got nothing worthwhile to skip forward to.

The first track is the sole reason for wanting this, but it's really not worth hunting this release down, far better off just finding one of the compilations that the song appears on.