New-school Metal Invasion - 86%

GraveWish, April 16th, 2012

Nevermore! Does that ring a bell for you? As a matter of fact, those Seattle-based groove/proggers has become eminently popular both in the underground and mainstream metal with their modernized thrash metal sound. For those unacquainted with Nevermore's indubitably sui generis sound, they genuinely mix the technicality of thrash metal along with the intensity of groove metal and the intricacy of progressive metal. Literally, Mutagenocide is one of those upcoming metal acts adopting the Nevermore's formula. While I tend to agree with this description to vaguely define Mutagenocide's sound, one cannot help but feel that this debut self-titled EP is predominantly nonstandard. I should start by saying that basically, this album was a bit underwhelming for me as I was primarily expecting an album with memorable experimental riffs and exclusive complex sound. While I'm not exactly dissatisfied, I wanted each song to really stand out. Nevertheless, I will continue to listen and let it increasingly grow on me.

Every now and again a new-school metal band arise, so far as that is concerned it's getting harder and burdensome to be presumably impressed by the work of amateurish acts. However, this isn't always the case and isn't the literal definition of each and every upcoming metal band, although it's common enough. Musically, anyone remotely knowledgeable about the definition of modern thrash metal will certainly be able to spell out what to expect here. The music is undeniably complex, everything is well structured and all tracks are captivating. One cannot help but notice that on the first track, Stampede, things start off enjoyably with a mid-tempo thrash metal riff. Unfortunately, once the vocals kick off a relatively melodic and slow tempo reminiscent of unexceptional power metal is used. Make no mistake, this is not at all utter crap, on the contrary, this is enchanting especially since the band excessively incorporates elements from technical progressive metal and shred to the mix. Not to forget the genuine balance between power and thrash-like deep vocals. The other tracks are certainly more interesting and unmistakably unique. Warhead is driven by impressively varied groove and progressive metal riffs. Another capital part that provoked me the most in this track is the brilliant amalgamation of old-school progressive metal and modern technical shred. It goes without saying that throughout the album things are getting progressively more attractive and thrilling. If I want to describe the third track, Fists of Steel, in not more than one word I'll assuredly use monstrous! The last track, Hammer to the Head, can be obviously considered as the masterpiece of this record. In effect, guitar-wizardry is evident here with a tremendous bunch of ultra-complex guitar riffs and technical guitar solos. Furthermore, to top it off, on this track the vocals are straightforwardly admirable.

In conclusion, this is definitely a delightful aggressive modern thrash metal record. De facto, there is not much to hold against Mutagenocide on this debut EP except that the band should probably give more attention to the cover and layout of any planned upcoming release. If you dig new-school metal with an old flavor, you may never regret getting this CD. Finally, I will absolutely be waiting Mutagenocide's next release in order to follow the evolution of the band.