Murder Therapy - Symmetry of delirium - 75%

Phuling, January 17th, 2010

I’ve been receiving promos from Deity Down Records for a couple of years now, I think, and it’s had its ups and downs. Some stuff have been really killer while other records haven’t really been my cup of tea. But that’s left me with a somewhat ambiguous mind when it comes to new promos from them, I never know what to expect and I can’t be certain it’ll appeal to me. And to be honest, Murder Therapy’s debut album has some of the ugliest cover artwork I’ve seen in a long time, so I didn’t really have high hopes for this one. But I was very pleasantly surprised only a minute or two into "The scourge", ‘cause it was evident this baby packed a punch.

I’ve read some reviews of this album, and what’s become painfully obvious to me is that most webzines suck big time, and the people who write for them couldn’t tell their head from their arse. Hopefully I won’t be considered such as well after this. Murder Therapy have a somewhat European flair to their sound, albeit with an American insurgence. The drumming at times remind me of some Vader material, but mostly during some of the blast parts, as the remainder of the drumming here is much more progressive and technical. Everything has a certain experimental touch to it, and riffing-wise it goes for both technicality and heavy churning, on occasion actually getting me thinking of what’s otherwise called mathcore. "Symmetry of delirium" contains some of the spastic, schizo-tendencies of said genre, but sealed within the massive death metal recipe that remains their base. They can sound just like Deranged one minute while the next gets me thinking of Dying Fetus, only to go all-out experimental in riffing to get flashbacks of earlier The Dillinger Escape Plan material (minus most hardcore tendencies, though).

So there’s a wide variety of death metal subgenres and styles comprised into one album, and it makes for a sound of their own. I wouldn’t consider it to be outright unique, but I can’t say it sounds really like another particular band. It’s technical and progressive without getting out of hand. There are quite a few tempo changes and twists and turns to be discovered, and I love the fact that they manage to cram in everything into rather short songs, most of which are under three minutes. Funnily, though, is the fact that the gruffy vocals remind me of a mixture of Chris Barnes and Corpsegrinder, so I guess that gives it just a wee bit of Cannibal Corpse flair while pretty much not sounding anything like them. The warm production lets every instrument takes its rightful place in the mix, the drum sound is full and the riffing heavy. It’s a very massive album that I’m sure will please fans of various genres as long as they keep an open mind.

Originally written for http://www.mylastchapter.net