The official party-goers manifesto - 95%

MrVJ, September 20th, 2007

"I'm a sucker for thrash metal and throwback '80s crossover thrash, and Municipal Waste has always done the latter very well. Their style of music is just an onslaught of thrash and punk, ripping off your face and taking your keg as payment for their services. It's just an eternal party for these guys and they play about it, and my god is it awesome. If only the '80s were still going then I could become one of those monster party animals that are always remembered in high school (in reality I'd probably be that 20-something guy who keeps going to high school kids parties... which would suck).

“The Art of Partying” is just that, focusing on partying and making it into musical art; the muse of Municipal Waste. This is the kind of music where you would gladly put on your denim vest and pump your fist in the air like a retard while bashing a beer can against your face and I support it with every fiber of my being. You shouldn't take this music seriously, because it will completely ruin the novelty of it and realize that you're just supposed to thrash around and have a great time, and I really dig that.

The music as a whole is very reminiscent of old '80s thrash like Exodus, Destruction, Sodom, Tankard, and Heathen to name a few. You really can't go wrong if you're able to pull off that sound correctly and adding in an excellent punk-edge, which impresses me because I hate punk (except Phobia). “The Art of Partying”is just one gigantic beer-bong with lots of metal and punk homages throughout the ride. You've got songs like “Headbanger Face Rip”, “A.D.D. (Attention Deficit Destroyer)”, “Lunch Hall Food Brawl” and “Beer Pressure” that makes you want to get completely wasted, go skateboarding and commit lots of vandalism to your respective learning institutions, like spraypainting “Cocksucker!!!” right on the middle of the football field.

I'm perfectly aware that the '80s are long-gone, but that doesn't mean that we can't still remember the glory days of thrash metal, and Municipal Waste has set out to do just that; remind us why thrash metal is awesome. The riffs are intense and powerful thanks to Ryan Waste (ex-Immortal Avenger), Land Phil's (ex-Nehema, Cannibis Corpse) bass is very closely related to that of Steve DiGiorgio (ex-Autopsy, ex-Control Denied, ex-Death), Tony Foresta's voice definitely reminds me of a very pissed off punk vocalist, and Dave Witte's (ex-Discordance Axis, ex-Burnt by the Sun, Birds of Prey) veteran drumming really shows off his grindcore/punk roots that fits very well with what the band has given him.

Now let's focus on the kick-ass throwback lyrics of “Headbanger Face Rip”!:

“He's going to he concert
He's full of thrashing rage
He's going to rip his face off and throw it at the stage!

Headbanger Face Rip

She's putting on her makeup
She's teasing out her hair
She's going to rip her face off and throw it down the stairs

It doesn't really matter who you came to see to play
All we want to see you do is rip your face away
Thumbs into your eyeballs, stick your fingers in
Rake your hand across your face and pull apart your skin

Blood and hair swirl everywhere
Your face is gone but you don't care
Receiving thrills with every tear
Destroy it as fast you can
Now is your time to take a stand
Just rip your face off the band

Headbanger Face Rip”

Look at that, this song is one minute and fifty-one seconds long, and Tony some-how manages to spit all of those out, which really reminds me of now defunct grindcore band Damaged. Those lyrics are just awesome and really showcase what this song is; a good fucking time at a metal show and make sure you give it your all in the pits. This is their “Toxic Waltz”.

“The Art of Partying” should be required listening for any heavy partier, and should also be “The Party Animals' Manifesto”, really, it's that damn good. This is going under my best thrash/crossover album of 2007 and maybe for the next two or three years. Nearly flawless effort by Municipal Waste, and I suggest you all catch them on tour with another throwback '80s thrash band by the name of Toxic Holocaust. Party on Municipal Waste, party on."

Originally written for Metal Stomp.