One of the Only "Right" Ways to Get Into Motorhead - 89%

woeoftyrants, January 6th, 2007

When it comes to "best of" collections, Motorhead are just as guilty as Black Sabbath of putting out retarded amounts of compilations including remixes of singles, B-sides, cover songs, and some general unreleased tracks. This certain collection has everything I've just mentioned, but thank God that the majority of material found here is pure classic metal.

This 2000 "Best of Motorhead" release contains all of the band's classics, ("Ace of Spades," "Overkill," "Killed by Death," etc.) but this compilation is a gem because it successfully throws in newer material from the lesser known albums of the 90's. Old-schoolers may scoff at this notion, but songs like "Sacrifice" and "Snake Bite Love" are just as filthy and lovable as the likes of "Orgasmatron." Also included are some unreleased live tracks, long-lost B-sides, and cover songs. (Included a sweet-ass rendition of The Sex Pistols' "God Save the Queen.") It's a perfect blending of Motorhead material for the novice who's looking for a fresh start with the band's sound.

One more great thing about this release is the extensive liner notes detailing the inner aspects of the band's existence, such as line-up changes, recording sessions, and tours. Lemmy goes into great detail about the band's classic line-up and why it had to change, and gives the history of things with the present band roster. The booklet also includes plenty of classic pictures of the band, from the earliest time they formed to present-day.

I do have one complaint, though; The focus strays from Motorhead at certain points through the collection's duration, such as Girlschool's cover of "Bomber" and Hawkwind's version of "Motorhead." (The latter of which is actually really weird. There are fucking saxophones in the song, I shit you not.) I understand the effects some of these things had on Motorhead musically and historically; but for someone who is just looking to get into the band on a casual level, those things could be viewed as pretty worthless. However, I will say that these things are probably a huge bonus for long-time fans of the band, and at worst they do no harm.

If you're looking to get into the dirty world of Motorhead and don't have the dough for the "Stone Deaf Forever" collection, this compilation is an excellent starting point.

Pretty great track selection, attractive look - 87%

OlympicSharpshooter, August 26th, 2004

Now this friends, is a damn good compilation. There's no cheesing out, no singleminded focus on the early years. No, this is a hand-crafted selection of gems, a one stop shop of really, really nice Motörhead songs. I'm not saying that there aren't a few things missing ("Stone Dead Forever", anything from Bastards), but all in all this comp represents virtually every Motörhead release, a really sterling catalogue that extends from the early spark of On Parole (the first 'Head recordings) through the classic Overkill and Ace of Spades, and beyond to the forgotten or underappreciated 80's discs (Another Perfect Day and Orgasmatron) and into the pummeling 90's (Sacrifice, Overnight Sensation). This double disc set puts to shame the cheapy cash-in single sets, and also provides a more cost-effective intro to the band than one of the price-y boxes. This is the evolution of the No Remorse hits set.

The disc one is pretty obvious, tracks from On Parole, Motörhead, Overkill, Bomber, St. Valentine's Day Massacre (split EP with Girlschool) and Ace of Spades, as well as some deserving singles like "Too Late Too Late". It's really cool how the comp gives tons of deep album cuts and some interesting live tracks (slightly low quality though) right off the bat, as well as a hypnotic Hawkwind trip (pun intended) through "Motörhead", but it's disc 2 that many casual 'Head fans (i.e. only bought the early stuff). It's an excellent Cliff's Notes of the rest of the catalogue.

The crunching industrial death of Orgasmatron is well represented by the title track and "Deaf Forever", while the melodic (yet oh so heavy) "Another Perfect Day" slams home the crunching "Shine" and the more mid-tempo "I Got Mine". This is really an underrated album because these songs have more bite than the toothless Iron Fist or 1916. A crunchy Ace of Spades cut ("The Chase is Better Than the Catch") actually throws things off a bit, but the funky (!) "Ain't My Crime" and "Dogs", as well as the Pantera-like sledge of "Sacrifice". As I said earlier, the lack of tracks from Bastards is odd, "Burner" or "I Am the Sword" would've been perfect, but I digress.

Also, the packaging is quite nice, cinematic black and white throughout the thick liner booklet, with an erudite and often humours turn of phrase from the writer of the thing. All in all, big round of applause for this, a rarity amongst the general sludge to be found in this category of any discography.

Stand-Outs: Ummm... "Shine", "I Got Mine", and "Tear Ya Down"... first three to come to mind