Kiss of Death?? I don't think so.... - 85%

sixxswine, July 21st, 2006

Motorhead returned to form with their last masterpiece Inferno, while Hammered was a heavy record, the songwriting and riffs just weren’t as strong as on previous efforts. Seemed to me like Lemmy spent most of his energy for the track “The Game” which was good, but when linked to television stunt man Triple H I just found it unlistenable. Inferno kicked some life into the band which could have easily continued down the path of Hammered and began their downward spiral as has happened with many a metal band. So pumped were Lemmy and company that it spawned a dvd from the tour and it doesn’t take a genius to see that Motorhead are still having a blast on stage after all these years.

Which brings us to the new album entitled Kiss of Death again a vintage Lemmy Kilmister tongue in cheek and memorable like always. Kiss of Death features a bakers’ dozen of fast, pummeling, driving rock ‘n’ roll that we have come to expect and that has earned Motorhead their notorious reputation as the #1 road band in the world. One thing though, while this record is outstanding, you might not really think so at first listen. On Kiss of Death Motorhead incoporate contemporary rock elements, which caught me off guard, no they didn’t rid themselves of their gritty sound. However they have proven that they can hang with the young guns. Which if done right doesn’t embarrass the old timers.

Kiss of Death features some impressive moments, my favorite tracks on this album are; “God Was Never On Your Side,” another example of the genius of Lemmy Kilmister, he is one of the best songwriters that the mainstream media doesn’t know about. I also enjoy “Under the Gun,” which if you fancy “You Better Run,” or their blues stuff like “Hoochie Koochie Man,” you’ll just devour this track! And there’s the straight up rocker entitled “Christine” this one is no doubt influence by Lemmy’s love of Rockabilly music and Little Richard, it’s just so evident. And the closer on Kiss of Death find Motorhead revisiting a number from 1918 “R.A.M.O.N.E.S.” which makes it’s return as a tribute to the fallen Ramones members. Motorhead has been around for 30 plus years and Kiss of Death is an example of a band’s ability to buck trends and keep it fresh despite being locked into their signature sound.