A Most Welcome Beatdown - 90%

corviderrant, January 16th, 2007

There are times when you just gotta go with what's tried and true to get yourself off, and what better way to do it than a slice of patented Manic Motorheadbanging Mania? The opening track of this album alone will get you up and running in the morning as a prime example of that, but in classic Lemmy fashion I'm getting ahead of myself.

This, contrary to what the last reviewer said, is just as good as "Inferno" in my opinion. It has a similar clear and room-filling production job and musically, wellll...it's Motorhead! If you are at all familiar with them, you know what you're getting; a bludgeoning hodgepodge of chundering speed metal ("Sucker", "Trigger"), heavy raunchy blues ("One Night Stand", "Christine"), straight ahead pounding rock n' roll ( "Devil I Know"), and even a mellow ballad--mellow by 'Head standards anyway--called "God Was Never On Your Side". These songs are, incidentally, my favorites so far on the album.

The latter song surprised me not because of it starting with soft acoustic guitar jangling, but because Lemmy weighs in with a heartfelt vocal performance that is a subdued croon as opposed to his customary grizzled growl (though he gets in plenty of that on the choruses) . And the tune is still mighty heavy, it's just different, and they pull it off well. The rest of this album is rib-sticking fare, with Mikkey Dee battering his drums like they done him wrong, lots of Phil Campbell's fine bluesy guitar work and thick riffs, and that inimitable trademark chainsaw bass massacre and lycanthropic throat warble that can only issue from the legendary Lemmy Kilmister. But "Sucker"...whew! That is one of the best album openers I've heard in some time, with its relentless drive and thundering roar of riffs and jackhammer drums.

There are the usual jabs at organized religion lyrically, as well as life's struggles, woman troubles and the joy of women as well ("Christine" has a downright playful feel)--you were expecting Lemmy to write about the plight of Tibet or something? It does dip a little at the end, hence the less than perfect rating, but even that is not so bad; the less than perfect fare on this album is still head and shoulders above the best that many bands can offer. And Phil Campbell's son, Todd, even gets a writing credit on the last song, "Going Down", as he had originally written it for his band, Skawd. Dad nicked it for this album, though, and the kid has a future if this is anything to go by.

Last thing you need to know? It's fuckin' Motorhead, man! Of course it's going to be good. And that's my final word.