In last place, for some reason... - 92%

JamesIII, January 8th, 2010

Some of my earliest experiences with metal came from a cassette version of "Bomber," which I particularly liked very well growing up. As time as moved on, my love for this album and the band that brought it into being has not softened, though I have branched out into other genres of the metal universe.
It comes odd to me that an album like "Bomber," when propped up next to "Overkill" and "Ace of Spades" in the trilogy of "classic" Motorhead, this album always takes last place. Reasons for this are strange to me, especially after hearing both of the supposed superior efforts.

The only reason that I can gather from hearing these three albums for a good number of years now is its because "Overkill" and "Ace of Spades" are generally better known. The title tracks to those albums are better known than the title track in "Bomber," not to mention the song "Ace of Spades" is THE calling card of this band. Rightfully so, as its a timeless speed metal track (a term Lemmy despises, preferring to be known as a rock 'n roll band with attitude.) In reality, taking these three albums as a whole, its impossible to pick a bad one of the three as they're all great listens but "Bomber" always pulls itself ahead of the game. It achieves this by remaining consistent (as opposed to "Overkill," which had a disrupted flow at times) but its songs have individualistic character (exactly where "Ace of Spades" went wrong.) At the end of the listen, you can recall these ten songs and you don't feel the need to replay it to make sure you caught everything. Easily digested gritty biker bar rock, exactly what Motorhead excelled in on this album.

You kick this album off in a great way, with the Motorhead classic "Dead Men Tell No Tales" and it never lets up from there. It runs through a series of different but similiar styles like the kicked back bluesy middle finger to authority on "Lawman" or the speed metal style of "Sharpshooter." This continues on "All the Aces" and the incredible "Stone Dead Forever." If Motorhead could do anything right at this point in their career, it was an early draft of speed metal. We top everything off with the title track as the closer, which is definitely one of the best songs here alongside "Stone Dead Forever" and "Dead Men Tell No Tales." The only song I thought wasn't as good as the others is "Step Down," with "Fast" Eddie Clarke performing on the vocal front. Its not that its a bad song, other than the voice thats leading the way, everything else works just the same as anything else on this album.

Any fan of Motorhead is certainly encouraged to seek this out. Don't let the general opinion lead you astray, this album's title track might be a hair below "Overkill" or "Ace of Spades," but taking the entire album for a spin gives way to realization. Realization in that "Bomber" successfully pulled off being a more consistent album but giving each song characteristic. It remains one of my absolute favorite Motorhead albums and ranks in my top 10 favorite albums. The best thing for you to do is to check it out for yourself and see exactly what I mean. This is the sort of thing to be present in the jukebox of all smoke layered pool halls after nine o' clock.