God Rulz! - 78%

wEEman33, October 24th, 2003

Ok, forget about the overly religious lyrics, the ridiculous prayer written in the booklet, and every stereotype you have heard about Christian metal. Done? Good. Now you're ready to accept the fact that this is one of the best thrash albums from the late 80's/ early 90's. The riffs on this record are catchy, and the rhythm section will have you tapping your foot, playing air drums, and busting out some wicked bass riffs on your air guitar. So with all this praise, why did I only give "Break the Curse" an 78? Well, let's just say that if I had a nickel for every time Jesus Christ/God was mentioned in the lyrics, I'd be filthy rich. In the same way that Deicide's overly anti-Christian lyrics are trite and repetitive, Mortification's pro-Christian lyrics are truly laughable. Take for instance the last song on the album, "The Majestic Infiltration of Order."

Here are the lyrics, taken straight from the booklet:
God Rulz X4

Chorus

God Rulz X4

So what I'm ultimately getting at is that if you can't handle lyrics that sound like they were taken straight from the Beginner's Bible (tm), then you won't enjoy this album. But personally, I think it's freaking hilarious. Play "The Majestic Infiltration of Order" for one of your metal friends and watch as they burst out in uncontrollable laughter. Other lyrical jewels from this album are “Journey of Reconciliation,” “Blood Sacrifice,” and “Brutal Warfare.”

One more thing that I need to mention, the bassist/singer for this band looks exactly like Budnik from the TV show "Salute Your Shorts." And the drummer looks like a carbon copy of Danny Tamborelli from "The Adventures of Pete and Pete," "All That," and "Figure It Out."
If that's not motivation to go buy this thrash classic, then you've missed out on some classic TV shows.