Hold your horses. - 62%

RickySoWhat, September 20th, 2012

Holy raving reviews, Batman! An obscure funeral doom metal band with six raving reviews with an average of over 90% for a tape demo limited to 50 copies - this needs to be nothing but extremely good music.

Well, is it?

No. Hold your horses before you get this one like I did.

Despite the favorable reviews, no doubt written and posted by little friends of the Monads-posse, “Intellectus Iudicat Veritatem” (trying to sound intellectual, are we?) is no mind blowing release. We’ve heard doom metal like this millions of times before since the nineties – and frankly, we’ve heard it better than it. The opening track “The Stars are Screaming” shifts back and forth between all imaginable doom metal clichés, between boring and uninspired 60 BPM 4/4 crash cymbal drum rhythms with bland power chords and the usual clean plucking patterns with lead guitars sustaining root notes a couple of octaves higher. The compositions and the musical execution of these ideas is very bland. Needless to say, this is not exactly helping the cause of these Monads. All riffs and tempos on this demo are interchangeable and not one fragment sticks. As another clean arpeggio is “surprisingly” ended by distorted guitars coming in together with growling vocals, I can’t help but see the discrepancy between knowing how to copy well and how to be an innovator.

Soundwise, “Intellectus Iudicat Veritatem” actually sounds good for a demo. The drums need lots more work alright in order to get rid of the cardboard feel of the snare and toms and the plastic sound of the cymbals. The clean and distorted guitar tones are really okay.

So does funeral doom need to be original to be enjoyed? No, of course not. The simple truth is I’d rather spin Evokens “Quietus” or “Antithesis of Light” than this clone “Intellectus Iudicat Veritatem”. In my book, the Monads have a long way to go before they can be considered the funeral doom metal geniuses they apparently would like to be.