Monumental Demo - 97%

Blackened Slugs, March 21st, 2012

Some bands put out one, two, maybe four tracks for a demo that usually don't last that long, length- wise. On Monads' first outing they give us nearly an hour's sample of their music. This is far more than a demo. This is as close to a full-length as you'll get, minus the title.

This slab of doom is monumental, by far one of the best recordings I've heard from a band on their first release. Straight out of the first riff you can tell Monads means business. Their riffs are a heavy, dark rumbling that permeates to the core of our senses. It crawls like a one-armed zombie, constantly grabbing you and pulling you down while growling. They're just trying to get into your brain, and I will gladly let them. Intellectus Iudicat Veritatem is sorrowful and at times you can feel the emanating anguish.

The low-end carries the album along in a steady thunder. They keep the album nice and lumbering throughout with the exception of a short burst of aggressive black metal towards the last couple minutes of the album. It comes out rather unexpectedly, but the impact is strong and turbulent. This is definitely an album worth its gargantuan weight. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of doom or just anything that's heavier than gravity.