mindequalsblown.net - 85%

RidgeDeadite, May 28th, 2012

Molotov Solution is back with a revamped lineup. Collision, Oakley, and Johnson have all left the band for personal reasons, so taking their places are the new members Richie Gomez (guitar), Shane Slade (bass), and Jacob Durrett (drums). For their new release Insurrection, they’ve pulled out all the stops and delivered an unrelenting force of brutal songs that have re-invented themselves from their Harbinger days. While they had a lot of metal influences thrown in, those parts kind of stood out and weren’t really blended as well as they could have been. Insurrection is to Molotov Solution what Shogun was to Trivium. Really mixes up their older sound with a lot of new elements to keep you on your toes.

The first single “The Final Hour” caught me by surprise and I knew to expect an all new band that overshadows any of their past efforts. Vocalist Nick Arthur wrote a message in this song that I believe we should all follow: “Believe everything you hear and see / and never ever question authority / together we stand / divided we fall” keeps their political messages intact, a topic that few deathcore bands actually cover.

If I had to pick the album’s next single, it would be “The Blood Of Tyrants.” It’s one of their faster paced tracks on the album and brings the energy to the listener. This song is more comparable to straight death metal than deathcore, with blast beat drums and melding guitars that bring an onslaught of aggression and awareness. It is by far one of the greatest songs (if not the greatest) in their catalog. To polish off the end, they put a stop on a dime breakdown to leave a lasting effect.

Arthur has certainly stepped his game up with his vocal delivery, and a good example is the song “Divide & Conquer.” That he is able to keep belting out these devilish growls and ear blistering screams will give a lot of competition to other like-wise vocalists in originality and lyricism. I embrace that they continually venture out of the deathcore bubble that has the tendency to trap other bands and make them sound generic; throwing true death metal, heavy metal and grindcore elements together makes this a refreshing breath of heavy music that’s only had a few other standouts this year.

Aside from all of the songs that bring in many other influences, it wouldn’t seem right if there wasn’t a pure deathcore song. That’s where “Cruor Viaticus” comes in and slaughters the competition. Take this quote directly from myself: “This is the single greatest deathcore song released since the last Acacia Strain album.” If that alone doesn’t catch your attention, then I have nothing else to say to you other than “go back to your pussy Jack Johnson vinyls and your ignorant, bleak lifestyle.”

Molotov Solution has raised the bar in deathcore that many others can’t live up to. Sure you can go out on your own and do the basic breakdown-verse-chorus-verse song structure, but you won’t stand out to longtime listeners (like myself) and will have a forced demographic to teenagers who don’t know anything about the genre. This is deathcore for real bacon loving, whiskey drinking men, not children.