The dark journey - 87%

Wargnattallfihrr, January 13th, 2009

The split release between Deathrow and Moloch is what I consider dark ambient to be about: atmosperically deep and able to transport a very intense feeling in music and lyrics.

As the other review already describes correctly, the music in Deathrow's part somehow sounds as if it was historic, yet furnished with a modern idea of relaxing slowness. Sometimes I assessed the music as being intended for meditative purpose, just as if Thorns wanted the listener to be unprepared
for what is to follow, namely the part (one long song) of Moloch. Here it comes to more rawness, Sergiy's voice screams the pain of the world up to the relentless sky, which is an interesting aspect in ambient music. I can sense some melodies which are quite similar to those used in the early demo
"Rotton Threads of Life", but here they do not seem to be out of place, rather they have a great influence on the effect of the music.

What it comes down to: it's all about atmosphere and how the parts of a split release correspond to each other (I’ve only met this being perfectly crafted in the Leviathan/Sapthuran Split). As some might have read in my other reviews, I am a great adorer of atmosphere, so my exigencies to an ambient release would be higher than to a normal BM-release. Deathrow and Moloch did not disappoint me. I like the way Deathrow's songs chill the listener down to a gloomy and lethargic mood whilst sounding somehow old, as pointed out. Moloch then show Sergiy's musical skills and a lot of his emotional world by sounding so vastly devastated that the listener, no matter if he is using earplugs, headphones or boxes, is carried away by the negativity of it. Although knowing that there have been two different processes of writing, recording and intending the music, it serves just one purpose for the listener: drawing him down.
And this works perfectly, even if one or another technique in creating the music might not have been mastered by the bands, the atmosphere has.

The release is recommendable for anyone, who likes the atmospheric type of black metal, for those, who visualize music and finally those, who like folk, neofolk or pagan (they can find interesting melodies in the songs of Deathrow).