Some Kind of Shit - 20%

jesusbathe, March 1st, 2007

Some Kind of Monster was the first Metallica CD that I ever owned but it was by no means the first time that I had heard them. The only good thing that I have to say about this EP is that it contains a limited selection of classic thrash tracks, all of which were recorded live in France I believe. It also contained a DVD section, which included a preview for the documentary "Some Kind of Monster." This brings me to both the opening and closing tracks, Some Kind of Monster and a slightly different version of Some Kind of Monster. This song was taken off of St. Anger; probably the biggest piece of shit 'metal' album of all time and Some Kind of Monster is a good reflection of that 'shityness.' Basically the song is a repetition of about four different riffs played in the same order and like the rest of the entire St. Anger album lacks the soloing capabilities of Kirk Hammett.

The live tracks included are all songs from their first three albums including Ride The Lightning, which is far by the best song on the entire EP. When I first bought this I would skip over Some Kind of Monster and just listen to the live tracks but as soon as I bought Master of Puppets I never listened to this again. I would suggest just buying one of their actual albums rather than this trash.

Really when it all comes down to it, I think the only real reason that Metallica released this was to draw more attention to their new documentary which is also titled "Some Kind of Monster", considering that it also came with a bonus trailer for the documentary. I'm not much of a Metallica fan anymore but I can tell you this, if you are just getting into Metallica I would suggest buying one of their actual albums because this is just a waste of time and money.