Some Kind of Shit - 20%

jesusbathe, March 1st, 2007

Some Kind of Monster was the first Metallica CD that I ever owned but it was by no means the first time that I had heard them. The only good thing that I have to say about this EP is that it contains a limited selection of classic thrash tracks, all of which were recorded live in France I believe. It also contained a DVD section, which included a preview for the documentary "Some Kind of Monster." This brings me to both the opening and closing tracks, Some Kind of Monster and a slightly different version of Some Kind of Monster. This song was taken off of St. Anger; probably the biggest piece of shit 'metal' album of all time and Some Kind of Monster is a good reflection of that 'shityness.' Basically the song is a repetition of about four different riffs played in the same order and like the rest of the entire St. Anger album lacks the soloing capabilities of Kirk Hammett.

The live tracks included are all songs from their first three albums including Ride The Lightning, which is far by the best song on the entire EP. When I first bought this I would skip over Some Kind of Monster and just listen to the live tracks but as soon as I bought Master of Puppets I never listened to this again. I would suggest just buying one of their actual albums rather than this trash.

Really when it all comes down to it, I think the only real reason that Metallica released this was to draw more attention to their new documentary which is also titled "Some Kind of Monster", considering that it also came with a bonus trailer for the documentary. I'm not much of a Metallica fan anymore but I can tell you this, if you are just getting into Metallica I would suggest buying one of their actual albums because this is just a waste of time and money.

The shirt sucks, the songs suck, the EP sucks. - 10%

langstondrive, October 5th, 2004

Another cash grab from the washed-up, self proclaimed "Kings of Metal", Metallica. This has got to be the most pointless release of all time, with a tracklist that is identical to the previous EP, but with a worse song as the lead off single. Some Kind of Monster is an 8 minute feature which showcases about 3 riffs, horrid vocals, lame lyrics and the only attempt at a lead guitar line in the whole St.Anger album. It's essentially the same as the St.Anger song, they play the entire song, and then play it again.

Is it just me, or are half of the riffs from St.Anger based around the same (D, F, G) chords? This song, Dirty Window, the last track, Invisible Kid...it's basically the same riff morphed and beaten until it was completely drained of the little integrity that it possessed in the first place.

The live tracks are a bit better than the studio track, quality and production wise, but it really is painful to be hearing their classic songs at this point, especially with the state that Hetfield's voice is in. The 10 points go to Ride the Lightning, which is done decently. The rest of the songs are shit.

Oh yes, the "free" t-shirt (I live in Canada, and it's $15 for just the EP and $30 with the shirt). The design is lame, it doesn't fit and the print is cheap. Much like Metallica does these days. I regret spending money on this.

Avoid.

Now THIS is a cash-grab - 44%

OlympicSharpshooter, July 16th, 2004

If you don't own the Unnamed Feeling EP, bump this is up about 30 points. It'd be worth getting for you.

HOWEVER, if you like me have both, you're probably feeling a little jipped. I bought SKOM without looking at the tracklist, and now I am feeling a little out of shape. They released the EP again save for switching the St.Anger tracks. This is really unacceptable. They don't have anymore exclusive live tracks? No out-takes or covers or unreleased songs?

No other release in their catalogue seems like a play for cash at all, but this, this is something that goes beyond. Selling this as a new release is pathetic and meanspirited. Shame on Elektra and you know what, shame on Metallica

Stand-Outs: None applicable, all of the songs have been heard before and you probably know what songs you really like anyway.