A few extra tracks, a video.. Not bad at all. - 85%

caspian, May 11th, 2005

I've never really liked NEM, but the orchestra version is much better then the black album ever was. This song, which always sounds quite sterile to me whenever i hear the old version, really comes alive in this setting. The string arrangement sounds exactly like it did in the old version, jsut beefed up a lot, mixed a lot louder which really suits the song. The solo is pretty much the same, and James's vocals are pretty damn good, pretty heartfelt. Lars doesnt come in for a while too, which really emphasises the dynamics of the song, making it a lot better.

The next song is For Whom The Bell Tolls, and its also pretty good. The double bass Lars adds makes the song sound a bit better, and while the string arrangement for this one clashes with the guitars from time to time, most of the time it complements it adequately. While there's nothing amazing about this song, what we do have is an interesting reworking or a classic. Not as good as the original, but still rather excellent.

The final song is -Human, which is a very cool track indeed. There's a short, brassy intro, and then the riffs kick in. The opening riff goes straight for the throat. It's slow and downtuned, with some big rock drumming thrown in for good measure. While the song does drag a bit in the verses and the bridge, the awesome heavy chorus makes up for it. It's a refreshing change from the usual Metallica stuff you're used to hearing.

The video isnt really that great quality, but hey, this was released in 1999, so they couldnt put a great quality movie on a CD ROM and expect it to play with the computers we had back then. It's a pretty cool concert video, very nicely put together. One thing that surprised me was the fact that James sat in with the rest of the orchestra, which seemed odd to me, as you usually see him out at stage centre. Still, it's a nice change to see Kirk have the spotlight for a bit. All in all, the video's nice, but you can download better.

So, to sum up, this is quite a good single. A few extra tracks that aren't crappy b-sides, and a video thrown in. Pretty good, when you think about it.