What can be said Metallica & Lynyrd Skynyrd???!!!! - 62%

CrashCymbol, June 25th, 2003

To listen to Metallica before they sold out is a true experience, you received music that had meaning, purpose, and life really. The band has long been a gateway into the world of metal and for this reason I purchased this album, purchased it with expectations of them covering songs with quality work. Metallica alas did not meet these expectations.

A 2-disc set of Covers Garage Inc. offers the listener songs that reside on the fringe of Metallica’s normal scope of music. Sadly this venture into new territory, or should I say attempt to honour the bands which influenced them was a horrid miscalculation.

The bands/artists that Metallica chose to cover for this album were; Diamond Head, Black Sabbath, Bob Seger, The Misfits, Nick Cave and the Bad Seed, Mercyful Fate, Blue Oyster Cult, Thin Lizzy, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Discharge, Holocaust, Killing, Joke, Budgie, Blitzkrieg, Queen, Anti Nowhere League, Sweet Savage and Motorhead.

Looking through the bands/artists above one can only wonder why or how Metallica could possibly think of covering songs by them! The mere thought of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Metallica functioning on the same wavelength sickens me. I mean for the love of god, if you are going to cover a song… DO IT FUCKING RIGHT! Not only does Tuesday’s Gone have nothing to do with metal, but the instrumentals and vocals WERE TERRIBLE.

The first CD offers semi-quality music with adequate vocals and instrumental work, though Lars Ulrich sounds incredibly lazy on certain songs. Over all this CD was a let down, rather unimaginative and no Metallica added to the works whatsoever.

The second CD offered a new level of craptacular work from this once decent band. Though Lars seems to have recovered some energy for these songs, the overall feel of the instrumental work on this CD left me searching for a Punk CD, BLECH!!!!

This is an all in all terrible effort by Metallica to leech more money than ever out of listeners out there. The cost was outrageous for what is delivered and leaves me as a buyer wanting a hell of a lot more for my $34 CND which is probably about 25 USD or so, either way it’s a waste of money that could have stayed hidden in your couch. A suggestion to prospective buyers, download this album first and listen to what you were about to waste your money on… if you still wanna buy it, go ahead. But I warned you.