Its fuel.... - 49%

Metalli_Priest, October 10th, 2003

The title says it all: This is fuel, one of the best songs on Reload, i know this isnt saying much, as it isnt a fantastic song.

The live songs are decently done, although they could have picked better songs to do other than 'Sad But True' and 'Nothing Else Matters'. Something like Creeping Death or something from Kill 'em All to compliment the speed (?) of fuel. But then again, i guess they didn't want to blow Fuel out of this world!

This, like most singles are only collectors items, so i guess if you are a die hard metallica fan, you should include this in your collection. Other wise, there is really nothing new to offer. You've heard fuel before, and you have probably heard these tracks live as well...

Forget the live tracks - 70%

ThunderheaD, May 1st, 2003

Songs 2 and 3 on this single are live versions of 'Sad But True' and 'Nothing Else Matters', which happen to be the worst songs on the black album. And anyway, do we really need another live version of these songs? I didn't think so. These songs brought the score down a little bit, but this review is mostly about the song 'Fuel'.

Now while 'Fuel' is on the complete abortion known as Reload, I think it is a kick ass rock song. You'd be hard pressed to call this song metal, but goddamn it, I don't give a fuck. It's upbeat, catchy, and a fine addition to their catalog. Everyone has heard the song, so I won't go into too many details. I wouldn't say there is a certain thing that is especially amazing about the song. The main riff isn't all that complicated and of course Hammett wah's his way through the solo, but for the type of song they were going for, the simplicity works. Hetfield sounds pretty damn good and fits the song perfectly.

I would suggest to just get your hands on this single or better yet just download it, because it is one of the only things worth while on the Reload album.