Not a Must-Have, but fairly informative. - 77%

caspian, August 15th, 2006

The black album is probably my least favourite Metallica record. It's the only album, in my opinion, that Metallica just went "Screw it, lets write a record that will sell lots". Still, it was cheap, and I've always wondered how on earth it was produced so well, so I decided to buy it. A good choice, in the end.

The DVD goes through most of the bigger tracks, eg. Sandman, Sad but True, Nothing Else Matters, etc. There's some pretty interesting tidbits in here, like the original version of Sandman, with the alternate riff (it sounds real crappy!), the usage of 30-40 room mikes for the drums (!!!) and the demo versions of all the songs, which is interesting. There's also extra guitars in the Unforgiven, the Elevator Version of Nothing Else Matters, alternate bass parts on My Friend of Misery etc. Quite a lot really. A lot of information is given on the production, recording and mastering of the album too, which I found particularly interesting, because for me, this album is one of the best produced Metal albums out there.

WHile I don't have A Year and a Half.., and can't say how much footage was recycled, I found the whole DVD fairly educational, and pretty interesting. There's probably not much here if you're not a big fan of Metallica, but if you are a fan, you'll probably find this fairly informative and entertaining. Recommended.