No Reason To Complain About Two Free Tracks - 90%

vargvikernes2, February 21st, 2013

Scion A/V has released a lot of free music by a lot of good artists. Just like it's now accepted that NPR has great taste in metal, it is also recognized that a car manufacturer can as well. For Meshuggah's contribution to the label, they have presented Pitch Black, a two-song ep that is 100% free to download.

The first song is the title track and as far as the name "Pitch Black" goes, it's a fairly adequate description of the music within. Recorded during 2003, it is a peculiarity in that it doesn't sound a whole lot like any other Meshuggah song. The vocals are especially bizarre, but I found them to have an interesting place in this rare number.

Track two is a live recording of "Dancers to a Discordant System" from Obzen. As anyone who has seen them live can attest, Meshuggah shred onstage. The complexity of their songs makes for very interesting performances. "Bleed" is a particularly interesting tune to hear performed live and shows off just how great a drummer Haake really is. This live song is also masterfully performed and the recording is very good.

This release has garnered some criticism for being more of a compilation of old material than bringing anything new to the table. I find this to be false. These songs have not been released before and the fact that Meshuggah decided to allow fans to download them for free is, in my opinion, a good thing. I think this ep, while short, is still a good listen and a nice gift from Meshuggah and from Scion.