Stylistic changes ahead - 70%

CannibalCorpse, July 15th, 2007

Hypocrisy - 45/50

Roswell 47 is one of the best songs to showcase the stylistic changes of Tägtgren's band in 1996. The song has about the same speed as the average "The Fourth Dimension" track, but features more audible melodic riffs and lead guitars.

Tägtgren's vocal work is again excellent, he uses both mid-range growls and an extremely high-pitched scream (a trademark style of Tägtgren that started with the "Abducted" album) that manages to send chills down my spine.

Lars Szöke still wasn't an amazing drummer when this was released, but he does his job, without gaining too much attention. An average performance.

Overall, a great song and a wise choice for a split single like this one.

Meshuggah - 25/50

The early years of this band saw them playing technical thrash metal, somewhat comparable to a heavier Megadeth. The album "Destroy Erase Improve" showed a style that was quite different to their old sound, straying away from thrash metal almost completely. This split is one of the first signs of their changing sound.

Sadly, Meshuggah's part of this little split is also far less enjoyable. "Future Breed Machine" is an average song on an average album. It features the typical "weird" time signatures that Meshuggah have been uses for ages, as well as the downtuned, sludgy guitars that define Meshuggah's sound. I never really enjoyed their music much, and "Future Breed Machine" doesn't change that in the least. Their singer's hardcore shouting is not exactly enjoyable either. Not a bad song per se, but simply not my cup of tea.

If you like lots of different time signatures and monotone, arrhythmic riffing with hardcore vocals on top, this might be useful for you.

Overall, this is a decent split for fans of Hypocrisy and Meshuggah, but not recommended to people new to these bands.

Oh man.... OH MAN!!!! - 90%

PazuzuZlave, December 14th, 2004

How can we go wrong here? With Hypocrisy, putting out one of their best songs ever, and Meshuggah putting out their best song EVER, we have a true classic. A short one, but still classic. I had never heard of this split album before I read about it here, but I'll sure track it down somehow.

Hypocrisys' "Roswell 47" is a midpaced metal song with great melody and Peters' ultimate thoughts. The most interesting, however, is how Peter got the guitars sounding so fucking crunchy. I mean, right off from the start, as the first powerchord can be heard, it hits you how much time must have been given to mix the guitars. I have never heard anything like it. The song itself is catchy as hell, and you soon find yourself nodding along, and later, headbanging along to the powerful drum- and guitarcoordination. It sounds quite the same throughout the whole tune, but it really works. Great!

Meshuggah offers "Future Breed Machine" from their album "Destroy Erase Improve", and it's easily their best effort ever. It has been said that they have the greatest drummer on earth, and I must confess... Thomas Haake is one bastard behind the drumkit. At times, you don't understand half of his technique, and at other times, you find yourself gazing with your mouth wide open at his blizzardfast tempos. The drums don't follow any structure for the most of the time, making it sound weird, but very VERY good. The guitarsound is powerful, but they could have been higher in the mix. They have successfully completed their mission (which is future mechanical takeover if you believe the lyrics), as the vocalist sound like a death-metal-robot. He doesn't have any melodies nor does his shrieking sound like your average death metal singer. He rather lashes out, giving all he can to make sure evolution will stop :)

All in all, this is a perfect effort from both bands, and sadly, I don't think we ever get to hear any of them at this highpoint never more.