The album that got me into Meshuggah. - 85%

megafury, July 24th, 2003

Most of the songs might sound too similar but if you follow the beat of that hard hitting guitar sound, you'll be able to tell the difference from each song. Also those tweeky sounding solos that come up help distinguish the songs from each other by creating a different atmospehere.

When other bands try too hard to sound heavy they sound generic but Meshuggah manages to only sound like themselves, creating their own identity in the big vast metal scene. They have their own unique heavyness in their brand of extreme mathematicaly timed music.

The guitars sound like jackhammers, hitting fast and stopping for less then a second to start hitting again. Nice brutal sounds. The lyrics are interesting, the track, "New Millenium Cyanide Christ", talks about Jesus Christ being a cyborg or something. My favorite song from the album.

The vocals throughout the album are the same fierce shouts but there is one track that sounds like a little creature is talking real fast, "The Exquisite Machinery of Torture", the one song that sticks out from the rest.

Meshuggah is one of my favoirte bands and this the one album I got an actual copy of. This and Destroy Erase Improve are the best albums they got, everything else they did I could go without listening, their other CD's are mediocre.

My grade for Chaosphere, 85%, it's a superb album but I still kind of feel like I'm listening to the same song over and over after listening to the album hundreds of times already. Good stuff though.

One other band that sounds like this is Ion Dissonance, just check them out if you really dig Meshuggah in this album.