Meshuggah's Masterpiece - 97%

Spirit_Crusher, January 17th, 2003

Meshuggah isn't for everyone. To those who do find technical and odd time signatures, polyrythms, and almost no melody enticing, then this is a pure treat. Amazing guitars, insane drums, great screaming, and overall craziness(hence the name) are all over this album. These guys can truly make something special. I don't know how many fucking times I've heard "HuHuh CHug CHug this is shitty 1 don't understand teh noize". It truly does piss me off that so many people dismiss such a great band because they "don't get it". Meshuggah deserve much more praise than that. They are eons ahead of horse feces like Cannibal Corpse.

All of the songs here are fantastic. "Concatenation" took weeks to decipher everything that is going on. "New Millenium Cyanide Christ" is my second favorite Meshuggah song behind "Future Breed Machine"."The Mouth Licking What You've Bled" has very complex riffage going on as does "Sane". My only nitpick with this album is that "Elsatic", while a great song, should have been longer, possibly 10 minutes or more to fill up that space.

Overall, great album. Mandatory pick-up if you are a fan of technical/extreme metal m/