This rocks my socks! - 90%

TimeAndDust, February 5th, 2007

Pretty much everyone reading this will be familiar with 2002's planet smashing monster "Nothing". Well if you liked that, you'll like this, and if you didn't like that then you won't like this. That's not to say that this is Nothing Part 2 by any means, in fact this is a completely different kettle of fish altogether. The staccato churning grooves of Nothing are here, but they're even slower, more repetitive and set to even more mind-boggling time signatures. This 47 minute monster of a song never gets boring, and the only reason I didn't give this album a perfect score, is, well, that vocoder in Mind's Mirrors is just a tad cheesy. The album highlight would of course be the "In Death" songs, and the awesomely creepy little ambient part at the end, which goes screaming straight into the staccato tribalism of "Shed".

Jens is on top form as always on the vocals, barking out lyrics in his trademark "veins popping out on head, red in the face, drill sergeant" fashion. Another small complaint would be we don't see enough of Fred's crazy insectoid jazz fusion solos, but damn those rhythms make up for it!

It's a shame Haake doesn't play drums, but you'd never know the drums weren't real, seeing as they've all been sampled from his ungodly kit. Apparently the riffs were being chopped and changed around all the time and it would of taken forever to keep learning the drum parts, so fair play to them.

And damn! That cold industrial tremolo riffing which keeps popping up under all these massive riffs makes my hairs stand up! This whole album just makes me think of the inner workings of a massive sentient machine, calculating our demise with a cold unemotional mind. Even though the lyrics are about paradoxes. Speaking of lyrical content, its awesome as usual, even if I don't have a clue what they're on about most of the time. Actually make that ALL the time. These lyrics are pretty damn esoteric, although they are a lot of fun to read and make a feeble attempt at understanding.

So all in all, I'd say this isn't quite Meshuggah's best, although its certainly worthy of a place in their discography. According to them, its not even a bona-fide album, and an experimental piece instead. If you have an open mind and are patient, then buy this album! You (probably) won't regret it!