The ultimate collection! - 100%

ShadeOfDarkness, March 13th, 2009

This collection is great! It has got everything you could wish for. It has 3 cd's with their greatest hits, including some demos, live tracks and other stuff. There are so many songs on this that you'll have more than enough to listen to. Not only are there songs that we've heard before. There are also some songs we haven't heard. A cover of kiss' "Strange Ways," the song "Crown Of Worms" which is an unreleased song, and "One Thing" which also is a rare track. It is amazing that we've got all this shit right in one complation!

Including all these powerful tracks, there is also the fourth disc, which is a concert from London in 1990. Here, Dave Mustaine does an absolutely amazing job with his vocals and of course guitar. It is in my opinion the best Megadeth concert ever! It is much better than Metallica's Live Shit Binde & Purge, which also is good but not as good as this one! Dave's vocals are truly unbeatable!

Apart from this, there is also uncluded a DVD of Megadeth live in 1992. This one is also great! I just love Dave's performance here too! So there really is much to listen to in this complation. The greatest hits cd's not only have the original songs we've heard before, but demo's and live tracks. I know I've mentioned this before, but it is important that all you out there know this, so that you know it is worth getting!

So overall, this is a true MUST HAVE for all Megafans out there. Well, it is a MUST HAVE for any thrasher that is out there. Get this complation or DIE!!

A worth package... - 95%

withoutmyshadow, August 24th, 2008

Megadeth has released many compilations (studio and live) in the last years, all of them featuring pretty much the same songs, the band's "hits". Nothing against these songs, but as an old fan I've grown quite tired after listening to them over and over again through the years.

Well, Warchest offers another compilation, but this time a compilation I found to be very enjoyable. All Megadeth "hits" (Peace Sells, In My Darkest Hours, Holy Wars, Symphony of Destruction etc) are there, but because of its unusual 3-CDs size this compilation features some less popular (but not less brilliant) tracks like Devil's Island, Liar, Five Magics, The Killing Road etc. It also brings many Megadeth songs you can't find in the albums, songs recorded for movie soundtracks or released as b-sides in singles or as bonus tracks in Japanese albums or something. And many of the "hits" here are presented in alternative versions as from live or demo recordings, what makes them more interesting for the fans who have them in the original albums and in a half dozen other compilations already. Among those alternative versions the highlights are the Sex Pistols medley Anarchy/Problems and the demo version for Holy Wars, a bit different from the final version presented in Rust in Peace.

The second part of the package features some live material. The 4th CD brings a concert from 1990, a time when Megadeth was offering some of their best live performances ever (at least in my opinion) and the track lists of their presentations were killer. Rattlehead, the opening track for the concert featured in this CD, can be checked out in the Arsenal of Megadeth DVD in an alternate mix. The 5th and last disc of the box is a DVD and brings a concert from 1992, right after the release of the acclaimed album Countdown to Extinction, during the apex of Megadeth's popularity. It's really cool to have this old live stuff from 1990-92 released, it gives to the new fans a chance to check out how the band sounded live almost two decades ago with its classical formation, and on the other hand it gives old fans some nice register of the old times.

The package presentation is awesome, it's really something special. All summed up makes this Warchest really worth its price and a must-have for any Megadeth fan.

Great collection of Mega-obscurities! - 90%

overkill67, October 11th, 2007

MegaDave has put together one of the most economically priced box sets in the history of metal. Kudos to Dave for allowing this package to be priced so fairly, because if you consider other bands such as Judas Priest, or Shit-tallica, or Slayer, you'll quickly learn to appreciate the cost of this collector's item.

Overall, much of what you're going to find in this box set, specifically from disc 1-3, you've heard somewhere before. Most of the obscure tracks have been previously released, just not in North America. Stuff like the Duke Nuke'em theme, or New World Order, were B-side material featured in Japan and other overseas markets. Most of these types of tracks can be found as bonus material on the remastered Megadeth catalogue from the Capital Records roster. That being said, its kind of cool to have all of these tracks now compiled together in one specific package. Furthermore, for any of the true Megadeth fans out there, here’s a trivia question for you...Where were the two live tracks, which were recorded in Wisconsin previously featured? Not sure, well the answer is, they were featured on the home video Exposure of A Dream way back in 1992. Seeing as how these were some of the best live renditions you're ever going to hear of these tracks, it only made perfect sense to include them in this great package.

But truthfully, the main reason as to why I wanted to acquire this box set was for discs 4 and 5. Disc four comes from the classic Wempley Stadium tour from 1990 while the band embarked on the legendary Clash Of The Titans Tour. This is the tour that pretty much catapulted Megadeth into the realm of superstardom, thanks greatly to the success of their now legendary album Rust In Peace. The band was pretty much at the best of their ability in a live setting at the time. This clearly comes through on disc 4, where the band not only plays to perfection, but even Dave, who hasn't been able to sing the classic tracks in key for many years now is able to hit some of the high notes in songs like Lucretia and Take No Prisoners. For me personally, one of the only downfalls to a Megadeth concert has always been Dave's struggle with the vocals, but during this era Dave had his game face on and performed greatly.
Also, this live concert features the band playing some live tracks which are no longer played live, tracks such as Black Friday, Rattlehead, or Skull Beneath the Skin, which as far as I'm concerned are the "golden oldies" of Megadeth's lengthy catalogue, along with some of the more notable songs such as Peace Sells of course.

Lastly, Disc 5, which is the DVD, is another example of Megadeth at their absolute best. Musically, each and every member plays to near perfection and the listener doesn't have to cringe listening to Dave while he sings songs such as Wake Up Dead or Holy Wars. A fatantastic display of great musical ability is apparent throughout the entire set. As far as the mix goes, hey, Andy Sneap did it, need I say more. The only ever so slight complaint is that after watching this DVD, the viewer is left wanting more.

Overall, this may or may not appeal to everyone, however I think that we can at least all agree that this is not a cash grab, but rather a sincere and honest attempt from one of thrash metal’s forefather's, to release a box set of material from the inception of the band right up to the band's 2004 release. Dave has included the rarities, some demos, some live stuff, and the obscure stuff. What more could a Mega fan want in such a well-priced package?