That One Night - 95%

thatcoltkid, April 28th, 2007

With a name like 'That One Night', you'd expect this to be one hell of a special concert and surely enough Megadeth deliver here. This is one of the best live performances of Megadeth I have ever witnessed, if not the best. The track list is pretty damn solid considering that it is from the tour in support of the sub-par album The System has Failed so as you'd expect it would contain a lot of songs from that album.

First off is the fast and thrashy Blackmail the Universe which is one of the better 'System' songs and it is performed greatly, it then seamlessly cuts into the classic Set the World Afire which is also performed greatly and these two tracks are make an awesome way to get this concert started.

On this DVD you get a bit of everything from the Megadeth career (sans tracks from Killing is My Business, which is a shame), you even get something from Risk; the borderline soft rock song I'll Be There, but even that song is performed greatly and I rarely find myself skipping through it. The tracks that I have to say steal the show here however would have to be In My Darkest Hour, the killer combo of Hangar 18 and Return to Hangar and finally the closing tracks Symphony of Destruction, Peace Sells and Holy Wars.

Much like Megadeth's previous live release Rude Awakenings; Dave Mustaine’s vocals leave a lot to be desired, however his voice has improved a fair amount and even make a lot of the songs sound much better (Trust and Kick the Chair are two prime examples here), and instrumentally the band is in near perfect form nailing every solo flawlessly, including the highly difficult songs like Hangar 18/Return to Hanger at Tornado of Souls.

But one of the biggest standouts of the DVD would have to be the picture quality, as stupid as it may sound. I mean the picture here is amazingly clear, words cannot describe how perfect the picture quality here is, you really have to see it to believe it. Even if you don't like the music, you should get this just to witness how clear a live DVD can be.

An extra cool little bonus is before some tracks it cuts to footage of the guys performing some songs acoustically at some park with some fans, really shows that these guys love their fans and they love what they do for them.

In short this is an amazing live DVD and it shows that even after 20 years and after a decade of mediocrity, Megadeth are still one of the best and are still able to be a force to be reckoned with.

Oh my god! That picture quality! - 85%

Agonymph, March 10th, 2007

Because I had been too busy with school recently, it actually caught me by surprise that Megadeth had a new DVD out. But, as a big fan of most of the stuff Dave Mustaine and his men released, I bought it without further notice. I had seen Megadeth play live on the tour during which this DVD was recorded and was absolutely blown away by what this lineup had to offer. My main concerns were if this DVD was good enough to surpass 'Rude Awakening' and if it shows the lineup in optima forma. Both questions can be answered with a "yes".

There is a "however" though. First of all, it's the sound. Most of the time, the sound is great, but James MacDonough's bass is just about inaudible during the first couple of songs. That little point of criticism is fixed later (during 'She-Wolf', Jimmy's back at full strength), but in 'Wake Up Dead' and 'In My Darkest Hour', songs that partly rely on a dominant bass line, it's slightly disturbing.

Another thing is the set list. And I'm not going to say the usual thing, being that they often play the same songs, because I don't mind at all, the songs they often play are the ones I want to hear anyway. When I saw them play that tour, they played a few songs not included here (like 'Skin O' My Teeth', 'The Scorpion', 'Die Dead Enough', 'Mechanix') which I would have loved to hear in favor of a couple of the songs that ARE on the DVD ('I'll Be There', 'Something That I'm Not'). I'm not too fond of 'Coming Home' either, but it works surprisingly well here!

On to the positive things on this DVD, because there are plenty of them! The best of all being the picture quality. I have yet to see a DVD that matches this one visually. The images are crystal clear, beautifully colored by the light and director Michael Sarna deserves a prize for editing a concert film so beautifully. At any given moment, you will see just the band member that needs to be on the screen.

And of course the music! The music is exactly how it's supposed to be. This lineup is tight and consists of very capable musicians. Glen Drover is one of the best and most versatile lead guitarists I have ever heard, his brother Shawn does a great job on the drums and James MacDonough is, apart from a killer bass player, a very good singer too. Works incredibly well on all those beautiful multi-vocal parts in songs like 'Trust', 'She-Wolf', my personal favorite 'Tornado Of Souls' (I said it before and I will say it again...the song with the best guitar solo ever) and 'Symphony Of Destruction'. Megadeth is pretty damn close to being the perfect band for me. Oh and by the way, Mustaine himself seems to have improved greatly on the vocal area. He still isn't a very good singer, but what he does here is much better than what can be heard on 'Rude Awakening'!

There are hardly any extras on this DVD, only an alternate mix of 'Symphony Of Destruction', of which I still have to discover the differences with the version on the main feature. But I don't really mind, I tend to only watch the main feature of a DVD anyway and the one on this DVD is good enough to not really give a shit about any extras. The little fun interludes of Mustaine and Glen Drover playing some songs acoustically in a park somewhere in Buenos Aires are extra enough for me anyway.

Did I get my message clear? Let me put it plain and simple: if you have a heart for Megadeth or Heavy Metal in general, this DVD belongs in your collection. The perfect picture quality meets the near perfect band here. I'd like to hate Mustaine for his attitude, but who gives a shit if his products are going to be this good?

That One Night: Live in Buenos Aires - 100%

6black6label6, March 7th, 2007

Masterpiece. From when I turned it on, to when I turned it off, i had a smile on my face. I watched the exactly one week before a Megadeth concert in my own hometown and all I can say is I’m pumped. All the old bands that are trying to put shows on now are butchering their old songs, e.g. Metallica, but Megadeth keeps it as real as the song from the album. Even after new members here and there, they can still rock till it hurts.

Music: The sound quality is immaculate, each song sounds as clear as the album, and Dave can still wail like he used to, on both the guitar and his voice box. The crowd really gets into it too, whether it is performing a soccer chant between songs, accompanying the music with chants or drowning out Dave's singing with singing of their own, it really makes you feel that you are there live in the open air. Dave even takes some time to talk and sing to the crowd in their native tongue. What I really like is the cut scenes, where Dave and Shawn are playing acoustic in a park in front many fans that shows a band that is just for the fans. Shawn Drover can still belt out the licks like Poland, Young and Freidman, and gives you the impression that you are watching on of the legendary guitarists.

Video: The concert actually looks like an expensive movie, whether it's the camera angles and panning, or just the over all quality. There are also some breath taking camera angles from behind the audience where they are all jumping in unison, while Dave and the boys are rocking out. It's very cool when the camera shot is from behind the band and you can see just how deep the sea of people is, and how close the surrounding buildings are. It is overall just an amazing DVD, and it makes me want to see Megadeth more then ever.