Why did I buy this? - 40%

7stringV, April 28th, 2007

O yea that’s right because I had no idea how much of a waste this album was. Dave put this album out after he thought Megadeth was done so I guess it was kinda to appease the record company, they couldn’t put out another greatest hits record, they just put out a live record, so why not just do something completely insane and put out half a live album and half The World Needs a Hero???

Well with all that being said the live stuff on this record isn’t that bad. Holy Wars is done very well on here and sounds awesome live anytime, and we also get a nice little new thing on Symphony of Destruction with some new parts and a harmony. Sweating Bullets is all right live but I still prefer the studio version any day over this. Time/Use The Man is also a stand out track on here. Time being the best song by far of Risk and Use The Man was one of the better songs of Cryptic Writings flow together nicely Megadeth does very well with this acoustic medley. In My Darkest Hour is all right except for the fact the cool acoustic intro isn’t done here nothing else is special about the rest of it, I just wish they would have played that they played it at the end but not in the intro? One of the good parts about this album is the Conjuring being put on here. This song is easy to get overlooked coming off of the masterpiece Peace Sells, but is one of the bands best songs ever this song is missing none of the energy that it had off Peace Sells the lyrics are really cool and the guitar riffs are top notch.

One of the main grips for pretty much Megadeths entire career is Mustaine’s voice. Which on this record isn’t great, it never is great nor will it ever be but it suites the music just fine and I never had a real problem with it, because if you are buying a Megadeth album for Dave’s vocals you just missed the total point of this band, the supreme musicianship and guitar playing!

The stuff off the World Needs A Hero isn’t all that special. There is no all out thrashers on here but still so good metal tunes. Dread and the Fugitive Mind which came off Capitol Punishment has a nice riff and some okay solos, I would have preferred Kill the King but this song is almost as good. Moto Psycho is pretty plain as far as songs go. The riff isn’t that memorable, its kinda fast but no where near the speed of something like the Disintegrators. Promises is some sort of beyond the grave ballad and has some seriously cheesy lyrics but has a very nice guitar solo by Al Pitrelli. The World Needs a Hero the song itself is nice for the face Dave wrote a political song again, something that was missing off of seemingly everything after Countdown. Burning Bridges is one of my favorite songs off the World Needs a Hero section of this album, its got a nice riff and a nice slow intro riff to start off. The album closes with the sequel to Hanger 18, Return to Hangar. This song is a nice try to get back to the bands metal roots after Risk failed so horrifically. Its done pretty well with some good riffs and solos. Fact is though Al is a good guitar player who can stand up to the standard Marty set on the original Hangar 18?

All in all this album is pretty much a waste. You would be much better off buying either The World Needs a Hero, or Rude Awakening. I can find no real reason to go out and buy this album unless you see it sitting in a used bin for $4 or something less, or you just want everything Megadeth ever put out. Outside of that don’t waste your time with this.

Don't Bother - 50%

Wirecutter, January 2nd, 2004

On one hand, the Time: The Beginning / Use the Man medley is nice, though I did buy it solely because I was hoping for a live version of Time: The End (the track list didn't specify which Time it was). Dave, if by some chance you are reading this: Time: The End should have a live version! And it should be done like the live version of She-Wolf on Rude Awakening! But anyway... The live version of The Conjuring was nice also, though I'm really not that big a fan of that song. But it's nice to have another live song, y'know?

On the other hand, I already paid for most of these songs. All the songs except for those two (or three, depending on how you view medleys) were previously released on Rude Awakening and The World Needs a Hero. So I essentially paid full CD price for two (or three, as above) songs. Yeah, they were nice, but put together they were not worth that much.

I would only recommend buying this if...

-You really, really want to hear those songs live and don't have KaZaA.
-You don't want to bother with The World Needs a Hero and Rude Awakening, and you're just going to settle for Still Alive and Well instead.
-You are collecting Megadeth albums for some reason.
-You are desperate to give Dave Mustaine and Sanctuary Records money.

Personally, I regret wasting my money on it. Your results may vary.

Was this really necessary? - 20%

evilution, February 8th, 2003

I hate it when bands re-release material to fulfill contractual obligations, and this cd is one of the worst examples of this. It does have two new songs, but the rest of the album is split between live songs we already heard on Rude Awakening and songs from the sub-par The World Needs a Hero. Both of these are best reviewed n their respective original albums, so I'll focus on the new songs.

Time/Use the Man showcases the rarely-heard acoustic skills of Dave Mustaine. Time was one of the bright spots on Risk, and it translates well to a live setting. Use the Man was the third single from Cryptic Writings and has been a concert mainstay ever since, and this rendition is solid. Also, the acoustic tone on this little medley is simply beautiful.

The Conjuring is my favorite song played during the 2001 tour that wasn't included on Rude Awakening, and I am happy to finally have a professionally-recorded copy of it. The instruments sound great on this one, though Dave's voice seems a bit strained, but overall this track is a worthy inclusion.

The bottom line, though, is that buying this release means paying 12-15 bucks for two songs. Only get it if you are a Megadeth completist or if you have particular affections for the new songs.