Perfection! - 98%

evermetal, November 9th, 2009

Before I started writing this review I thought it would be wise to listen to Rust In Peace since I hadn’t listened to it for some time. It was a huge mistake! When the CD ended, I needed a few minutes to catch my breath and pull myself together and realize what exactly hit me! Until I finally figured it out. It was the shock waves that came from the nuclear explosion caused by Megadeth! Now that I recovered my senses I feel ready to begin.

In 1990 a new era had risen for the American speed/thrash metallers. This time the light of hope was delivered by the duo Friedman/Menza whose contribution to the creation of Rust In Peace was enormous. Dave Mustaine, almost drug-free, almost sober, almost humane to his partners but mostly to himself, completely unfolds his talent, a talent that we were barely allowed to discover in the past. With the skillful and experienced guitarist Marty Friedman by his side, he feels freer and gets more space since he doesn’t have to compose all the guitar parts by himself or do solos all the time. On the other hand he offers some intensely political lyrics, extremely penetrating and often very personal like in Poison Was the Cure that’s about his drug addiction and whose lyrics are shocking.

In general everything is almost perfect with this album and the only arguable thing is the vocals. Either you will love them or you will hate them. I tend towards the first. Go Dave! The production has been done by Mustaine and Dave Clink and is crystal clear providing the field for the instruments to sound very heavy.

The top moments of the album are… what the hell am I saying? Every song is a diamond and it’s impossible to leave one out. The metal massacre begins from the very first riff of Holy Wars…The Punishment Due. The fantastic intro based on the guitars and pounding drums create a war atmosphere and Megadeth take heads and break necks as you can’t stop headbanging to the thrash rhythms of the song. Nick Menza is tremendously performing behind the drum kit when he lets his galloping horse rhythms but also when he decides to hold the reins. The inspired breaks will not leave you bored not for a second. This one is a blaster!

Take No Prisoners is a war song with all its sense. From the machine-gun guitar playing to the freaking war lyrics of “going to war, give ‘em hell, D-Day, next stop Normandie” the track explodes and obliterates everything. Friedman delivers excellent riffs and solos and is proved to be the best choice for the band.

Hangar 18 is not as speedy as the foretold ones but surely is one of the most interesting as it deals with a subject we all are intrigued; alien existence and the secrets hidden from us by the governments of the world. And if you have seen the video of the song, it becomes more and more exciting.

Poison Was The Cure is a very personal track, self-explanatory of the shit-hole Mustaine had fallen into some time before. The guitars thrash all the way and the three minutes it lasts pass with great delight. It is a typical Megadeth thrash song which leaves you breathless and shattered. Dawn Patrol is a small bass and drums theme that clears the path for the closing track, the masterpiece called Rust In Peace…Polaris. Menza enters with a technical drum intro and the heavy guitars follow to spread their nuclear energy upon us. Megadeth’s nuclear submarine has just surfaced and launches its deadly missiles on the metal world.

The rest of the songs have nothing to envy from the previous killers. All of them are bombastic in their own way filling up the space in the best possible way. Looking for fillers? You won’t find one in here! Nine superb songs, including Dawn Patrol, equally good and inspired leave no doubt that Megadeth are at their best and Rust In Peace is an album essential for every metal fan that respects himself.