Great live perfomance, poor image quality - 80%

panteramdeth, September 2nd, 2004

Released following the double live album of the same name, Megadeth's 'Rude Awakening' DVD does what the double CD does so well: feature a legendary thrash band in top form. You can't tell by simply watching Dave Mustaine play that he was having arm trouble, which led to Megadeth's demise soon after the double CD release. The setlist is for many a Megadeth fan to enjoy, as material from all of Megadeth's albums are found here, except for 'Risk'. ("Angry Again," from the 'Hidden Treasures' disc, is contained in the extra features, along with four other 'Deth classics).
As mentioned before, the band is in top form here. The highlight of the disc is Jimmy Degrasso's drum solo in "She-Wolf," with guitar solos from Dave Mustaine and Al Pitrelli bookending the drum solos. "Trust," "Dread & The Fugitive Mind," "In My Darkest Hour," "Sweating Bullets," and the disc closing "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" are strong points as well. There are also several songs from their last studio album featured here as well, and "1000 Times Goodbye," thankfully, does not include the annoying chick. As for Mustaine talking to the crowd, there is very little of it to be found here, as Megadeth proudly lets the music do the talking.

Sound and video quality is a different story, though. The video, when played back on a computer DVD-ROM drive, looks grainy and pixilated at times, with only a few glimpses of any clarity. And the sound is sometimes distorted and not really crystal clear, during the concert itself. The sound quality, in my opinion, is actually clearer on the CD than the DVD. However, the special feature, "Megadeth On Megadeth", is a joy to both watch and hear, in terms of both sound and image quality. Whether the quality is improved on a regular (television) DVD setup is uncertain.
Also featured is a write-up by Metal Edge editor-in-chief Paul Gargano. And, as mentioned earlier, the "Underground Show" contains five bonus Megadeth songs performed live, but in black and white.

This is an excellent DVD to purchase if you are looking for a great live performance from a truly great thrash metal band. Just don't let the somewhat lackluster video quality get to you.

Originally written for http://www.metal-reviews.com

Could Be Better... - 84%

langstondrive, November 16th, 2003

First of all, I have already reviewed the actual songs on the CD version of "Rude Awakening", but since I am a Megadeth nut, I bought both the CD and the DVD. The CD is the best live album ever, period. The DVD is pretty good, in a sense. The songs are perfect live and the audience is really into it. What I didn't realize from listening to the CD was that the songs are recorded in 2 different places. They all sound the same to me! Angry Again, Train of Consequences, A Tout le Monde, Kill the King and Almost Honest were recorded at a much smaller venue, but the energy remains just as strong. The problem with this DVD is the lack of features. There is a 15-20 minute interview with the band, most of it with Mustaine and there is a discography which I could have written better.

The best part of the DVD is probably after Silent Scorn, which is the last song, there is a little "interview" of sorts with the band, but is mostly just them screwing around after the show. Pretty funny stuff. Buy the CD, and if you love Megadeth as much as I do, pick this up as well, I paid 10 dollars less for the DVD than the CD.

Worthy of a Reunion. - 98%

Damone, June 5th, 2003

This DVD was very memorable to me in all the years I have listened and watch Megadeth. It was great how they started the set with a newer song (Dread and the Fugitive Mind) and then ended it all with a classic (Holy Wars). Listed below is a rundown of the highlighted tracks on the DVD:

1. Dread And The Fugitive Mind: Very hyper and upbeat. The song kind of welcomed the newbies to Megadeth nicely.

2. Kill The King: This song wasn't featured on the DVD but is in the special features section. It kept the newbies on their feet.

3. Wake Up Dead: The energy of this song had me grabbing my strat from my room and playing along. The lighting that was featured on top of the Marshall stacks went well with the bridge riffs. I think they were using Black Widow Lights. The transition into In My Darkest Hour caught me off guard. Just the way I like it.

4. In My Darkest Hour: When Al is playing the verse riffs by himself, Dave stands at the mic and sings his heart out. He uses his hand motions to show the feeling in this song (i.e "Now as I die for you..." he slashes his fingers across his throat.) I this song was composed in memory of Cliff Burton.

5. Angry Again: This song is in the DVD Special Features Section.

6. She-Wolf: This song was THE song to introduce the new members of Megadeth. Al and Dave have MEGA fun with the outro and really let loose with the harmony lines. Jimmy D also gets in on the fun when he throws in a very impressive drum solo; but not too impressive (Menza still has him by the balls!!). This is the best track on the DVD. After you watch this one, you'll be searching back to watch how amazing it was again.

7. Reckoning Day: Al Pitrelli shows that he can handle one of Marty's tougher solos with ease.

8. Devil's Island: Intense when it came to the breakdown and bridges. The intro faired highly well with the crowd.

9. Train Of Consequences: This song is in the Special Features section of the DVD.

10. A Tout Le Monde: Also wasn't in the DVD footage. Takes its place in the
special features section. This performance cooled everyone down and really set the mood when Al played the intro solo. Dave still has the charisma and takes the song to high grounds when he sings it. Very impressive performance. One of the best I have ever seen for this song.

11. Burning Bridges: Another newbie reminder. The chorus is unforgettable live.

12. Hangar 18: The instant classic that should have won a grammy over Metallica's "Enter Sandman". Both Al and Dave take the trading solo phase with ease.

13. Return To Hangar: Perfect song to follow, Dave and Al keep the E.T.s moving and the harmony lines set up Al to shred on the solo bending backwards with ease.

14. Hook In Mouth: Dave forces tons of attitude on this track. He still shows us what he has when it comes to shredding.

15. Almost Honest: Located in the DVD special features section.

16. 1000 Times Goodbye: More emotions from Dave and suprisingly from the rest of the members. They handle this song like they have been playing it to people for years.

17. Mechanix: Dave starts this track - "There are two ways you can hear this next song. There's are way...and there's their way. For those of you that think this is their way, this song is called..."Mechanix"! Dave pumps MEGA attitude towards Metallica and goes into the 4 Horsemen-esqe riffs. This, by far, was the 2nd most energetic track, next to She-Wolf.

18. Tornado Of Souls: Dave handles the sweeps in the beginning with perfection and never lets this song drag.

19. Ashes In Your Mouth: Crazy headbanging glory in this track.

20. Sweating Bullets: Dave once again steps into his bi polar suit and gets the crowd in on how crazy he is. More hand motions and jumping around show you how truely he is really feeling it.

21. Trust: Once again, Dave lets his emotions run wild and the harmonic acoustic part flooded the audience with serenity.

22. Symphony Of Destruction: The intro where Dave introduces every band member but himself is very unselfish on his part. The new longer intro and bridge/outro was amazing.

23. Peace Sells: Another classic that Al handled well. The solo for this song came out smoothly and Dave still has the vocals to go with it.

24. Holy Wars: Very good live rendition. Dave and Al both did tremendous guitar work.

The outro song to the DVD is Silent Scorn off of the new album "The World Needs a Hero".

The only thing wrong with the way this DVD was edited, was the fast cut scence when moving in to the next song. In some cases, the lights would go out and Megadeth would begin the next song's intro before the lights came back on! Other than that, this is the superb DVD for any thrash metal fan.This will be an instant classic someday.