Poor production and too many versions, but ok - 89%

HealthySonicDiet, April 15th, 2004

Megadeth's debut album Killing Is My Business...and Business is Good is a fairly decent album, but it suffers from poor production and too many versions. This album has three versions and it confused the hell out of me when I tried to write the tracklisting down for this after I had copied it. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but it gave me a headache, and I believe I still ended up writing the damned thing down wrong.

Anyway, KIMB shows Megadeth in their rawest form, arguably. Mustaine's vocals are still the same as they are on later releases, but they are somehow stuck in Reverb Land. Poor production pushes his vocals to the background(though they never were that prominent in the first place, at least strength-wise).

Every song on here is pretty much straightforward thrash, and I believe right after this album Megadeth started experimenting more and further stylizing their sound. Peace Sells is somewhat similar to this, but there are further touches on that that aren't found here. The riffing is still jarring, intense, and very quick, and the overall technicality is still very impressive, but it's hard to enjoy it so much when all the aspects of the music are so jumbled together and not crisp and individual.

The drumming and bass are still super-tight as well. I really don't see why Metallica and Slayer are praised so much. It just seems to me that Megadeth just has the whole package musically, whereas Metallica and Slayer have some glaring faults that have always needed sprucing up. I will give you the fact that both Hetfield and Tony Araya(or whoever the Slayer vocalist is) are stronger singers than Mustaine, but one doesn't necessarily need a 'good' voice to be well-liked in metal....just a highly distinctive one that has its own personality and energy to it.

Well, I've pretty much touched base on everything. Just pick up this album, if not only for the fact that it's a debut album. IMO, debut albums should be pondered and appreciated in a parallel fashion as people are when they are 'debuted' into the world.