Best radio hits - 82%

_orc_, March 10th, 2007

At that time, back in 2000, Megadeth needed one record to finish their contract with Capitol Records, so they released this compilation. Megadeth never released a compilation album before, at least a serious attempt of a compilation. But this is just a compilation, not a 'best of' album. This was edited clearly thinking about incomes, because the most succesful songs are here, but in commercial terms. That's why I miss some stuff from the first album, like "Last Rites/Loved to Death", "Mechanix" or "Rattlehead", huge Megadeth's classics and better than some songs included in this compilation. Of course, anthems like "Hangar 18", "Holy Wars", "Peace Sells" and "Symphony of Destruction" are here, and also some radio hits like "Train of Consequences", "Sweating Bullets" and "A Tout le Monde". But some older stuff and even of the recent albums, like "Reckoning Day" or things like that, are missing.

Anyway, this is a good approach to Megadeth's music. If you want to introduce yourself or somebody to Megadeth, this record is very OK for that. And we've got new songs here (at that time): "Kill the King" and "Dread and the Fugitive Mind". Both songs are fucking great. "Kill the King" is catchy and powerful, the riffs and drums playing is astonishing. "Dread and the Fugitive Mind" is as good or better. The lyrics are excellent and the solos great. This reminds me "Sweating Bullets" a lot, mainly for the beginning of the song. But it's kind of boring the fact that this song was included in two albums, one afther the other, and with any new arrangement. Then, why they don't put it in the "Kill the King" single, released before this compilation? And "Dread..." rules, and "The World Needs a Hero", didn't rule that much.

The old songs aren't that well chosen. Why there's a "Risk" song here? Even Mustaine hates this record, and you can count the times they played any song from that record with one hand (but, luckly?, here in Chile they played "I'll Be There") I confess that I've never heard anything from "Risk", but if "Crush 'Em" is the 'best' song from that record, I'll never listen or buy or even download that shit and gay album. The compilation gets better in "Trust", when all the songs are really 'mega-hits'. It's a great part of the album, but I dislike those track before "Trust" (exceptions are the two first tracks)

Well, I don't have many words to describe this, and it doesn't needs many descriptions if we think that those are the most known Megadeth songs, thay they have played them thousands of times live and most of metalheads have listened already. "Capitol Punishment" is a hidden medley, after "Peace Sells", it's somebody changing the radio stations, finding many Megadeth songs. This is some kind of irony, but describes how the tracks were chosen. Well, still a good compilation. And now this went out of print, a fact that makes this more valuable. But own it only if you are a Megadeth fanboy.