PURE FUCKING ARMAGEDDON - 83%

Loloj, August 31st, 2011

Mayhem. Any self-respecting black metal fan knows the story of Mayhem. The whole deal with Dead's suicide and Euronymous's murder, but I know a lot of Mayhem fans who haven't heard this demo. This is Mayhem humble beginnings.

I'm going to tell it like it is. If you don't feel the crappy quality vibe that a lot of black metal bands use, this demo will absolutely suck to you. It's probably the worst quality I've ever heard, except maybe for some Ulver stuff. This quality absolutely sucks. And I can see why it would turn some people off. On the other hand, I have no problem with horrible quality, so I appreciate this demo. It truly is pure fucking armageddon. You can make out the riffs and the pounding of the snare in the background. On this demo, the songs sound a lot alike because of the sound quality and have the same basic formula. The riffs are actually pretty decent, although crazy primitive. Unfortunately, the drums are basically just pounding the snare and the bass drum the whole time. As for Euronymous's vocals.. they aren't great, but you can't hear them unless you try, so it's nothing to worry about. The bass is also very prominent and good.

This demo has some awesome riffs and songs that will be remembered. The sound quality is terrible, and they sound like a bunch of pissed off teenagers, but it's a solid demo with some good guitar and bass work. If you can get ahold of it, I would recommend it, but don't go searching for hours.