Overrated beyond belief - 5%

DomDomMCMG, January 19th, 2012

How the fuck is this so loved? This is some of the worst black metal ever released. There is no redeeming factor in this whatsoever its beyond fast drums, but you can get that with any black metal band and the rest of the music will probably be much better.

The first song, Funeral Fog, features the same riff repeated for 5 minute, and takes an age to kick in, and when Attila Csihar does start his vocals, it sounds terrible, slurring his words and changing pitch to sound "tortured". I have no problems with black metal vocalists attempting to sound tortured. Pest (Gorgoroth), Nocturno Culto (Darkthrone), V.I.T.R.I.O.L. (Anaal Nathrakh) and Dead from the very band I'm reviewing all managed without sounding like a total wannabe. In Freezing Moon, after the forgettable solo, Attila begins "singing", actually sounding more like a NWOBHM singer who's been smoking 20-a-day since 1980, and at other times tries some death growls, poorly executed, of course.

But it's not like Attila Csihar is the only thing ruining this album. The music is awful, too. Every riff on this album sounds the same, and it's not even a good riff to keep recycling. It's almost as if the band were too lazy to write more than one. No riff changes. No tempo changes. Just the same shitty riff recycled for 8 songs. If someone played me Funeral Fog and told me it was Cursed In Eternity, I'd have no trouble believing it. As I stated before, the drums are fast and is the only thing on this that's any good, but you can get fast drums from better black metal bands like Immortal and Marduk, and they actually have decent vocalists and guitarists who don't re-use the same crappy BM riff.

This is a truly awful black metal album. I'd recommend you invest in Darkthrone's A Blaze In The Northern Sky, either of the first two Gorgoroth albums, Satyricon's Dark Medieval Times, or At the Heart of Winter by Immortal instead of this. Avoid this crap at all costs unless you're the biggest black metal fanboy ever, in which case you probably already have and love it.