Simply Mastodon - 85%

TheKidSolano, January 3rd, 2007

I would like to start by saying that Mastodon became one of my favourite bands along with those "old-schooled" I was used to, almost since the day I first heard "Naked Burn" on a radio show and that's because of its power, headbangin' boost (man...I've seen them twice and nice shows they were), technique and simplicity which all combined are able to offer us music in all its sheer greatness.

This DVD is perfect in the way that allows the viewer to easily follow their story (still short, yet great) with balanced dosis of fun, documentary wealth and, I insist, honesty (I guess that'll be one of their most well succeeded ingredients). You can testify all the talents of the band mates (especially Brann Dailor's astounding skills) without being massacrated with "guitar lessons", unecessary jamming, "look it's me the best player in the world" poseur attitudes, if you know what I mean. Besides, everything is told in a language able to capture anyone's attention without any problem.

In what concerns to live footage, the choice is very well done, in my opinion (in spite of the normal sound/image problems, of course). I would highlight "Ol'e Nessie", "Workhorse", "Hearts Alive" and a raw and so very different version of "Naked Burn" (I must admit every song of them is a highlight to me...). The videos appear in the DVD almost as a bonus, I guess.

I can't give a better rate just because I would prefer to see a little more of themselves (in Iron Maiden's "Early Days" style), but what the Hell...they're still young.

In a few words: very nice release! Long live to the Mastodon! May its tusks bite the entire world!