What is there to like here? - 7%

shantanupatni1991, March 28th, 2009

Despite being a huge fan of progressive/technical music, Mastadon is one band I never really got into. Maybe it’s because of the fact that their overall sound is to metalcore-ish for my taste, or maybe because I seriously fail to see this music’s technical aspects. Whatever it is, I don’t like it. The riffs don’t go anywhere, the vocals remind me of Randy Blythe and the song structures are no big deal. In fact, in a lot of ways, I find them similar to Lamb of God; and well… that pretty much sums it all up.

Blood and Iron, one of their more famous songs, wasn’t able to impress me either, just like their other stuff I tried on YouTube like Crystal skull or Iron Tusk. It’s the first single from their critically acclaimed album “Leviathan” which by the way also maintains a sturdy average of almost 80 here on MA after as many as 12 reviews.

So anyway, it starts with this confused power chord riff which as I mentioned, doesn’t have a start or end. This of course shortly accompanied by the Randy Blythe vocals and the wanna-sound-technical Chris Adler type drumming. The song displays some Slipknot-type “cheerful” sound throughout (lol), ends up just getting lost and is then ultimately over. Nothing much to say apart from that, just 5 other random riffs, no melodies, no real solo, nothing!