Underrated: Sacro - 94%

Rust_In_Blood, February 25th, 2010

Talking about Masacre, is talking about one of the most representative icons in one of the more underrated scenes on Death Metal world. But still a fucking icon. After the success of the legendary Requiem, we can find Sacro as a worth follow up album for that masterpiece (and a masterpiece himself), that shows an inminent growing up of the band as musicians and a more complex and technical musical orientation, without forgetting his roots at any time.

In my opinion, it runs pretty amazing for the band, because it gets Masacre more closer to the sound of big legends of death and thrash metal, and sometimes while listening this album, you can smell an inminent Classic Death and Teutonic Thrash influence in the air. If you wanna know what I mean, try to listen "Tierra de Lamentos" (Land of Laments) or "Rituales de Muerte" (Death Rituals) without remembering The B-side of Terrible Certainty, or try to listen "Funeral Amén" and don't think about Sodom. Also there are other intense tunes, like "Orgasmos Oscuros" (Dark Orgasms) and "Moral Esclava" (Slave Morality), where surely is the influence of bands like Deicide, Obituary or maybe Cannibal Corpse.

The riffs are constantly catchy, very solid without falling in boring shit that could make you skip the song. Also the structure of songs is very smart and the tempo is constantly changing: Mid-paced passages that suddenly speed up without mercy to brutal blast beat passages (Masacre's Trademark), and then slowing back, always kicking some asses. The lead guitar work is far evolved technically compared with previous releases, as you can see in "Dios del Horror" (God of Horror) and "Más Allá del Dolor" (Beyond the Pain), which probably has the best solo in this album and one of the highlights in the whole band's carrer. About the acoustic tracks (Sacro & Dolor Sensato), well, I don't know how good they fit in the album, but they're cool tracks in their way, and a great display of musical skills and creativity.

The lyrical content is amazing, because this guys left the gore and simmilar things to enter into a more realistic vision of the colombian problematic, beign theirselves critics of the unfair and violent reality of religion (Orgasmos Oscuros, Confesiones, Más Allá del Dolor, Dios del Horror, Moral Esclava), nature (Tierra de Lamentos), war (Funeral Amén) and justice (Ritos de Muerte). Additionaly, they sing in spanish the whole album (Uncommon in colombian Death Metal bands), which demonstrates their loyalty with their roots and fans (I love them for it). Okendo's vocals fit good in the profile of the album. His growling runs fantastic in spanish, and he screams long passages, giving a constant variation across the songs. Probably Okendo improved his technique from Requiem, but at this point I find a little problem with the vocal performance on this album: Unlike Requiem, vocal lines are rarely catchy, maybe you can find the vocals very simmilar in different songs. Instead, the first time you listen "Brutales Masacres" or "Justicia Ramera" from Requiem, you're instantly a singing zombie.

The Gallego's drumming is a true lesson of brutality and good technique, is amazing how he remains consistent and solid in brutal & fast stuff like "Orgasmos Oscuros" or "Confesiones", supporting the riffs in a very imaginative but intense way. His managment of tempos is pretty good, 'cause, as i said before, is an integral part of masacre's style the constan fluctuation between mid-paced parts and fast stuff, which's always driven by blast beat drumming About the bass, I find no problems, 'cause is played in the way it's meant to be, and also there are some memorable passages that make the album more enjoyable. The production is godly, all the instruments and voices sound great, a very natural sound that does very much for this record.

In Sacro we can find an underrated classic within the colombian scene, a must have if you're inside. If you don't, is a strongly recommended record for any Death Metal fan, especially if you're asking yourself "¿Colombian Scene?", because the good metal is everywhere. I swear you'll enjoy it as well as any other of their releases.

Masacre Rulez
Metal Rulez

See you in hell, fuckers.